languages

Cythraul

Dec 10, 2003
This thread is about what languages you know. I'm pretty interested in other languages but I haven't really taken the time to learn anything else beyond the two I already know. Obviously, I know English. I also speak Spanish because, well, I'm part spic. I took some French in high school but forgot pretty much all of it. Right now I'm trying to learn German. It seems pretty difficult. Even the basic shit seems crazy. Why the hell do they need three definite articles that all mean the same thing? Fuck!

Who here speaks more than one language? If so make a sentence for me and translate it. I am interested to see it.

I study French and German.

French is a breeze, but definitely agree that German's hard. It's the word order that loses me. :erk:

I can translate most Latin with relative ease. But it's not the kind of language you learn to speak. Though I could speak some of it if I tried.

I can read most French, and speak some on a basic level, but not as much as I did a few years ago when I was taking it in school.

I can speak enough Spanish to save my life.

I know a lot of German words but have no grasp on grammar.

I know basic words and greetings in Czech and Polish.

Oh right, and I'm a native speaker of English.

I speak Russian(mother tongue), Hebrew and English and can read Arabic competently (only when the vowels within the words are made overt).
I know a few words in Ukranian.

My native language is Dutch and I'd say I'm pretty fluent in English.

I can read/understand a decent amount of German (on account of it being somewhat similar to Dutch and having taken it in highschool for two years) and can generally understand the gist of French texts (though I suck at understanding French people because they speak at 90 miles an hour) but cannot really make gramatically correct sentences in either of those languages easily or consistently.

I am fluent in German and English. I'm fluent in German, because both of my parents are from Germany. I took two years of French in junior high, but only know a few words. If I look at a text written in Dutch, I can figure out what most of it means, since it is very similar to German.

Punjabi's my mother tongue and my 'regional' tongue if you may. I know Hindi because its the national language. English because.. well.. you ought to.

I'm also learning French these days.

I'm afraid I don't know anything other than english. :erk:.

I still remember little (mostly useless) snippets of Spanish from High School. I'd like to learn French and German someday soon. Eventually I'd also like to learn sign language.

I speak Swedish,English and a tiny bit of German,although i have forgotten most of what i learned about it in school. And also being Swedish i can kind of say i can also speak Norwegian. I can also understand Danish and Icelandic to some extent.

I speak Swedish,English and a tiny bit of German,although i have forgotten most of what i learned about it in school. And also being Swedish i can kind of say i can also speak Norwegian. I can also understand Danish and Icelandic to some extent.
Same here (not a big suprise considering we both are from Sweden), except I took spanish instead of german.

English is my mother tongue, and I know (or rather knew) some Japanese, however I have become very much out of practice and have forgotten pretty much all of it. :erk:

Does anyone here (i.e. Cythraul) know of a decent Spanish-language forum (ideally music-related)? I've been wanting to join one for a while, to work on my Spanish skills. I figure it's the best way to do it short of taking another (expensive) class, or moving to another country. I took four years of Spanish in high school, and haven't really practiced it since then (been almost five years now).

I found this site - http://www.metalminos.com/foro/index.php - which looks reasonably useful, although there doesn't seem to be any intelligent discussion going on there, and it seems to be mainly focused on file-sharing. :erk:

So yeah, if any of you could find me a decent forum, I'd be much appreciative.