Languages

TylerTheNuke

I have eaten you
May 21, 2005
Iowan Corn Fields, corn pwns Korn btw
It's been a long time since I posted here, mainly because I started exploring other genres. I'm sure my avatar and sig are childish as fuck, so yeah, apologies in advance. Recently I've been listening to metal again, and I've been thinking about how the choice of language affects the sound. Like, for example, with darkthrone, some songs are in english, some in norwegian. The norwegian songs sound more powerful, more chilling. The most chilling band I've ever heard, burzum, sings in norwegian too. I was also recently listening to the album babasonica by babasonicos (a pop band who did a one-off into metal) which is a sort of old school metal sound, kind of like metallica and NWOBHM, but it is sung in spanish. I noticed that the fact that it was sung in spanish made it seem more passionate, and very awesome in it's own way. I'm just curious as to what everyone else's thoughts on this are. Does language make a difference?, do different genres sound better with different languages?, is it bad that english is dominating metal?

Some langauges sound better than others, yeah.
For example, Spanish is really irritating and better suited to pop, which most of the Germanic languages work pretty well for metal.

speaking of black metal and latin. familiar with nightbringer?

from what i understand, all their lyrics are in latin. and they kick ass
~gR~

The language is an important matter imo when writing lyrics and singing. All latin languages sound weird to me when it comes to metal (portuguese - my language, spanish, italian and french, mostly). Romanian is an exception (Negura Bunget).

The scandinavian languages sound great for Black Metal and folkish stuff imo.

German is a great language for cursing :lol:

And the fact that most Metal uses english as the official language does not bother me. As a matter of fact, it works great as a bond.

English is not used to it's expressive potential, either in art or everyday life, nowadays. However, I do believe it's just an inherently better language, for almost all use.

I certainly don't mind a band singing in a native language, *especially* if it's folk-derived music. But I do prefer English, and don't think other languages necessarily bring something new to the table in of themselves.

The language is an important matter imo when writing lyrics and singing. All latin languages sound weird to me when it comes to metal (portuguese - my language, spanish, italian and french, mostly). Romanian is an exception (Negura Bunget).

The scandinavian languages sound great for Black Metal and folkish stuff imo.

German is a great language for cursing :lol:

And the fact that most Metal uses english as the official language does not bother me. As a matter of fact, it works great as a bond.

isnt romanian more of a turkic language? influenced by slavic
~gR~

Black metal bands using poorly conjugated Latin is always worth a laugh.
Also, broken English lyrics are always funny, especially when the band are native speakers...

Well, Romanian is a Romance language, but it has lots in common with French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. Therefore, it's closely related to Latin.

I can understand several words, especially when reading their lyrics. Due to its other influences though (slavic), it sounds very unique, and beautiful.

Would not make difference to me if some bands write songs in belgian, for example. most of death and black bands don't know how to pass the message with a decent way. i pay attention more to the instruments than the lyrics. is hard to understand who is screaming like a pig or a hungry snake.