Languages of Mabool

Jrgen

Hin håle
May 23, 2005
Växjö, Sweden
Hello.

I know that Orphaned Land's lyrics are written in many different languages, especially on Mabool. I've managed to find lists of these languages, but I've never found which languages are sung in which songs. I think I can make out which lyrics are in Hebrew, but I don't know how to identify other languages, which are supposed to be sung on Mabool, such as Yemenite. I'm very interested in languages and I'd really like to know this. Could anyone here possibly help me out?

Thanks!
Jrgen

first of all...
Välkommen till den Orphand Land forum...
I believe Asalk(with the ending of Ocean Land) is the only one in Yemenite though its lyrics are written in hebrew in the booklet.
The rest of the lyrics in the hebrew font are quotes in hebrew from the old testament.
and off course there's English and Latin...if you speak english(and clearly you do) you can tell the difference.

I have a break in the university so I came to this forum...once I come home and pull out the booklet I'll be able to give you a more accurate answer.

Thanks a lot for the help! I really appreciate it. I've heard before that there was supposed to be a "gibberish language" somewhere on the album, but I always thought whoever informed me of this meant the female vocals in the Kiss of Babylon (not the A'salk outro).

And very impressive Swedish skills there paradoxile. :)

Hellbell said:
is this regular hebrew or some sort of very ancient hebrew?

The modern hebrew language(fathered by Eliezer Ben Yehuda) is the ancient hebrew languge with some modern additions (like telephone) and a slightly different grammer so most of words used in the bible and today weren't changed.

Take "El Norra Alila" for instance.It's taken from a locking prayer on Yom Kipur(Judgement Day) and written by Rabbi Moses Ibn Ezra in the 11th century.
In this prayer we ask God to forgive the sins of people and bring redemption shortly.
El Norra Alila means God,The doer of horrible things or maker of horrible plots
the word Alila means doing things(in negative conotation) according to the bible...
in modern hebrew Alila means plot so the meaning didn't change much.

---> Jrgen

Skål i Blå Pripps, eller hvad du nu drikker i Sverige.

Forresten så bliver det da sjovt i EM-kvalifikationen, hvor Danmark og Sverige er i gruppe sammen! Vi slår jer selvfølgelig! ;)

Jrgen said:
Yes, you're right. How come you know this?

Doesn't that mean "Jew" or something? Seeing how Yehudim is Judaism.
I'm currnetly learning Swedish...trying to understand all the swedish guys in the Dan Swano and Katatonia/Bloodbath forums prompted me to do so.

about the second thing You're Half Right.
Yehuda is the hebrew pronounciation for the name JUDAS(like JUDAS ISCARIOT and JUDAS PRIEST) and it's quite common too.
Now for a little history.

First there was Abraham who came from "UR KASDIM" which is now somewhere in IRAQ.
He had 2 sons: Isaac and Ishmael(The Arabs are decendents of Ishmael)
Isaac had 2 sons:Jacob and Esau
Jacob (aka Israel) had 13 sons.one was Joseph(Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat) and the other 12 were later the 12 tribes of Israel.
One of those Tribes was the JUDEA tribe.
Basicly because the 12 brothers sold Joseph to the Egyptians.Their descendents(people of Israel) were slaves in Egypt for 400 years untill Moses set them free(Let my people go) after walking in circles for 40 years in the Sinai desert the people of Israel finally returned to their homeland and each tribe got a land.JUDEA got the land where jerusalem now stands.
later started a Monarchy first with King Saul and then King David and his son King Solomon.
after King Solomon died Israel split into two kingdoms.
The Kingdom of Israel ruled by King Yerovam and consisted of 10 of the 12 tribes and its capital was in the city of Shechem.
and The Kingdom of Judea which consisted of the JUDEA tribe,The Benjamin tribe and the Levy tribe(which had no land but the religious priests in the temple were from this tribe only...and the temple was in jerusalem on JUDEAN soil).
In 733 BC the Asyrian Empire(who came from what is now Syria) and conquered the whole region and Exiled The Kingdom of Israel and since then the 10 tribes were lost.
later in 586 BC The Babylonian(Iraq) Empire Exiled the Kingdom of Judea to to different regions of the Babylonian Empire and Destroyed the temple in Jerusalem.
In 538 BC The Persian Empire has allowed The exiled Jews to return to the Land of Israel and to have religious freedom.So we built the 2nd temple
which was destroyed by the Roman Empire in 70 AD.

When Jews were allowed to return to Israel most of them didn't but formed small jewish communities at the place where they lived.Some were in Iran and Iraq, some in diferent parts of Europe like Germany and over the years spread all over Europe and several parts of Asia. A very big community was in Spain which was exiled at the order of the King of Spain in 1492 and most of it traveled to North african countries like Morroco,Yemen, Egypt.

The whole point of all this is that Jews are called Jews(YEHUDIM) because we're from the Kingdom of JUDEA(MAMLEKHET YEHUDA) which consisted mostly from JUDEA (YEHUDA) Tribe.

The ruins of Ur that you mention, are located more or less between Baghdad and Basra. These days, they happen to be in the middle of a giant american base, actually...

edit:

060109_Irak6_talli_b1.jpg

060109_Irak6_talli_b2.jpg

Since you already know some swedish, then you´d probably be able to read this article in danish, about the Ur ruins:

http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt og Presse/Irak/Ruinbyen i Tallil

Miltbrand said:
The ruins of Ur that you mention, are located more or less between Baghdad and Basra. These days, they happen to be in the middle of a giant american base, actually...

that seems about right...
Ur by the way means fire...like Uri Zelkha:D

Miltbrand said:
Since you already know some swedish, then you´d probably be able to read this article in danish, about the Ur ruins:

http://forsvaret.dk/HOK/Nyt og Presse/Irak/Ruinbyen i Tallil

You gotta be kidding me!!
by the way what you wrote to Jrgn earlier looks like Danish rather than swedish...something about drinking in Bla Pripps(and I know it's a brewery in Sweden cause my parents were there last year on vacation) and Denmark and Sweden being in the same group and kicking Sweden's ass in Football.

paradoxile said:
You gotta be kidding me!!
by the way what you wrote to Jrgn earlier looks like Danish rather than swedish...something about drinking in Bla Pripps(and I know it's a brewery in Sweden cause my parents were there last year on vacation) and Denmark and Sweden being in the same group and kicking Sweden's ass in Football.

Yeah, Danes and Swedes can understand each other (if they want to! :) )
Anyway, I think it´s really fucking cool that you are trying to learn swedish (although I think you should learn Danish! ;) )
Like I wrote in an other thread, keep up the good work! Both swedish and danish are really hard to learn!!!!

Thanks for the history lesson paradoxile. :D

I really know nothing about football though. All I know is that you probably would've had a better team if we hadn't taken Skåne from you. That's where most of our good players come from. I do understand written Danish, but when they're trying to talk to me, I hardly understand a thing. It's kind of embarrassing as they seem to understand exactly what I'm saying.