Metal in other languages

Rata Blanca is more neoclassical but owing more to Deep Purple (as Blackmore is Giardino hero) than to Malmsteen, they have a certain power component but depending on which album you pick you will notice notable differences in the formula (btw my favorite Argentinian band of all time). Mago de Oz will all due respect is a piece of shit :puke:, Skyclad for the poor man and the drummer is an asshole, frankly a stain in Spanish metal that have given to the world bands like: Baron Rojo, Obus, Panzer, Avalanch (old), Azrael and many more. As for Brujeria, never liked their lyrics or musical approach. I can't understand death metal and grindcore, bur Brujeria to me was always like a bad approach to what bands like Death, Obituary, Napalm Death, Carcass were try to pull out.

Wyvern :worship:. Mago The Oz is biggest piece of shit ever listened :lol:. "Jesús de Chamberí" is Ok and maybe "La Leyenda de la Mancha" but the rest :puke:. Their drummer is not only an asshole he even thinks he´s a genious and released a poems record :cry:

Daarkat14: If you want to listen REAL spanish metal (from Spain, we can talk from other countries too) just a few:
MURO
ANGELES DEL INFIERNO
BARON ROJO
BANZAI
PANZER
AZRAEL
DAMA FEUDAL
PEDRO BOTERO (early)
EVO
LEIZE "Devorando las calles"
OBUS
ALABARDA
CENTINELA
ZARPA

MURO
ANGELES DEL INFIERNO
EVO

Certainly I forgot about them in my previous post. Also I have to add Santa and Medina Azahara (I guess they're metal?, I just have a vague memory from the 80's)

I have to explore more Muro, only have their live debut (maybe worth to check too Silver Fist). Never dug Angeles, and also I have to check Zarpa.

ZARPA are great. It´s curious ´cause I consider their last two albums are the best ones. You could check "Inferno" and "El yunque contra el martillo". Both were released in german Carthago Records and you can get them easily by 5 or 6 euros. Into them are some re-recordings or live renditions from 80´s Zarpa´s classics

SANTA are superb too. I forgot to mention them. "Reencarnación" and "No hay piedad para los condenados" are a kind of Chastain in spanish due to female agressive vocals by Azucena (RIP). Then, in "Templario" they had an argentinian singer (Leonor Marchesi) and sounded too much soft for me.

MEDINA AZAHARA: In the beginning of their career they were a Triana wannabe (prog rock with Andalucía roots ¡not flamenco!). At the end of 80´s they changed to hard and heavy music in their most famous record "Sin tiempo" (a monstruous success here in Spain). However, I´m not too much in Medina Azahara.

"No hay piedad para los condenados" are a kind of Chastain in spanish due to female agressive vocals by Azucena (RIP). Then, in "Templario" they had an argentinian singer (Leonor Marchesi) and sounded too much soft for me.

I had NHPPLC as MP3s, I like it but it doesn't turn me crazy. I knew Azucena left the band before the last album but I din't know the vocalist was Argentinian.

Thanks for the hint on Zarpa, I look upon it.

I enjoy metal in any and all languages. Although, I am not huge on some Polish bands. The way the language works just goes straight over my head. Thats also the case for the few NWOBHM bands that sung in Welsh. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy them, just means it takes me a little longer to get into it.

I am in love with music from all over South America, and I love hearing the bands singing in their native tongue. Bands like Anthares, Holocausto (on the debut), Kraken, Dorsal Atlântica etc. But I also love reading the lyrics of bands to which English is their second language. Sodom and Sepultura's first EPs are good examples of this.

I listen to a lot of black metal so a lot of it is sung in either Norwegian, Finnish or Swedish. Burzum (old) and Enochian Crescent are fine examples of awesome metal sung in another language.

Though not an old-school band, I love TYR with some of thier lyrics being in thier native language-Faroese, (English as well). Of course I don't understand a lick of Faroese, but it sure sounds badass...some of my favorite tunes from them are in this form. Of course, Dark Lyrics.com-metal lyric archives are a good source for translation.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I1geB7U5VI&feature=related[/ame]

Though not an old-school band, I love TYR with some of thier lyrics being in thier native language-Faroese, (English as well). Of course I don't understand a lick of Faroese, but it sure sounds badass...some of my favorite tunes from them are in this form. Of course, Dark Lyrics.com-metal lyric archives are a good source for translation.

a) I agree Tyr kick ass seriously (except maybe "Land" which is a bit boring)
b) their best song is in Faroese, 'Ólavur Riddararós'
c) the translation comes in the booklet of the album, so I guess you have downloaded them :saint:
d) I hope to see them live next year at PPXI :headbang:

On another related topic, following Orfanos tip I bought 5 Ossian albums and the band is great singing in Hungarian. I'm looking now for another 6 albums of the band :D

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sortilege.

Actually lots of French bands do it great in their language: H-Bomb, Blaspheme, High Power, Manigance, Malediction, Satan Jokers, Attentat Rock, Killers, ADX.

But Sortilege had a great advantage, a superb singer as Christian "Zouille" Augustin is, he manages to get the vocals sound perfect both in French and English versions of their songs.

a) I agree Tyr kick ass seriously (except maybe "Land" which is a bit boring)
b) their best song is in Faroese, 'Ólavur Riddararós'
c) the translation comes in the booklet of the album, so I guess you have downloaded them :saint:
d) I hope to see them live next year at PPXI :headbang:

:D

Yep..agreed.
'Olavur Riddararos' is a great tune and is actually the first song I came across awhile back that got me hooked on Tyr. At first I was like "whoa, this is different, but kicks major ass"!

also really like...
'Gatu Rima'
'Regin Smidur' (probably the greatest intro to a song- EVER!
'Turio Torkilsdottir' (from the new cd).

Hope you get to see them live? Just when I discovered Tyr about a year or so ago...found that they just recently had played at a annual metal fest in Rhode Island- I think? This being fairly close to my surroundings...I was bummed that I had just missed seeing them live...oh well, next time.

Had to post this...great song and visuals!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep..agreed.
'Olavur Riddararos' is a great tune and is actually the first song I came across awhile back that got me hooked on Tyr.

Same here! :headbang:

annual metal fest in Rhode Island- I think? This being fairly close to my surroundings...I was bummed that I had just missed seeing them live...oh well, next time.

Oh, don't tell me it was the show with Alestorm? I was killing to the see both bands live.