Metal in other languages

Same here! :headbang:

Oh, don't tell me it was the show with Alestorm? I was killing to the see both bands live.

The tour mentioned earlier may have been a bit further back than I previously thought. The tour with Tyr and Alestorm I believe was the more recent Pagans Knights Black Sails Over Europe Tour? Would have killed to see this as well!

edit:
Good news TYR fans. The band just announced a North American tour along with Korpiklaani, Swashbuckle and White Wizzard beginning in early 2010. Kicks off in Worc. Mass...fairly close to me. Looks like I'm gonna get to see 'em after all!:headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Metal in a language other than English, I mean.
Since I know this is a very international board, my question is: Do you listen to metal in your native language (if it is not English)? And IS there metal in other languages?

Yes i listen to metal in my native language currently its only one that i know of (maybe there are others) and that band is called Heidevolk a pagan/folk metal act that sings about our germanic,frankish, frisian, anglo saxon ancestors and the germanic gods.

bands that don't sing in english:

Heidevolk: dutch pagan folk metal act
Arkona: russian slavic/pagan metal act
Tyr: Progressive folk act from the faroe islands some songs are in english but its mainly in their native tongue
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter: German folkrock
Saltatio Mortis: same as DAR
Rammstein: horrible industrial metal but hey there are fans for them.
Equilibrium: German Epic Folk/Viking Metal act

I think it's cool when the bands will mix in a little bit of the native tongue with predominantly English lyrics. If it's entirely in a language that I don't speak, then it's hard for me to get fully captivated.

I love Therion, despite the fact that I don't what the hell they're singing about half the time. Likewise with Tyr.

I think it's cool when the bands will mix in a little bit of the native tongue with predominantly English lyrics. If it's entirely in a language that I don't speak, then it's hard for me to get fully captivated.

I love Therion, despite the fact that I don't what the hell they're singing about half the time. Likewise with Tyr.

Why should a band mix a little bit of their native language with the over ruling english?, When Heidevolk starts to sing in English than they aren't Heidevolk anymore meaning they lost a unique touch and their identity, Arkona sings in russian i don't know what they sing about but i let the music in. And there you are contradicting youreself with the main part of youre story.

Why should a band mix a little bit of their native language with the over ruling english?, When Heidevolk starts to sing in English than they aren't Heidevolk anymore meaning they lost a unique touch and their identity, Arkona sings in russian i don't know what they sing about but i let the music in. And there you are contradicting youreself with the main part of youre story.

No... a band can do whatever they want. I'm not saying that they "should" do anything. I'm just saying it's hard for me to get into them when it's sung completely in a language that I don't understand. No I'm not contradicting myself, since I said it's interesting when the band mixes in some native language with English, which the aforementioned bands do.

Tömmermenn from Norway

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSCVt-aizow"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSCVt-aizow[/ame]

Same here! :headbang:

Oh, don't tell me it was the show with Alestorm? I was killing to the see both bands live.

The tour mentioned earlier may have been a bit further back than I previously thought. The tour with Tyr and Alestorm I believe was the more recent Pagans Knights Black Sails Over Europe Tour? Would have killed to see this as well!

edit:
Good news TYR fans. The band just announced a North American tour along with Korpiklaani, Swashbuckle and White Wizzard beginning in early 2010. Kicks off in Worc. Mass...fairly close to me. Looks like I'm gonna get to see 'em after all!:headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Most definitively not even the vocalist knows what the lyrics are about :heh:
grrrr. don't make me Chia Pet you... :mad: Band's like Bloodbath can be understood...

I listen to a lot of black metal so a lot of it is sung in either Norwegian, Finnish or Swedish. Burzum (old) and Enochian Crescent are fine examples of awesome metal sung in another language.
You beat me to it... Dimmu Borgir's original Stormblast comes to mind... beautiful album with norwegian language... Darkthrone's albums come to mind as well...

I think it's cool when the bands will mix in a little bit of the native tongue with predominantly English lyrics. .
Lacuna Coil's song : Comalies . Comes to mind... Italian is such a beautiful language and works well with that song. I wish they did more songs in Italian.

grrrr. don't make me Chia Pet you... :mad: Band's like Bloodbath can be understood...

Yeah...by the drummer :lol:

Lacuna Coil's song : Comalies . Comes to mind... Italian is such a beautiful language and works well with that song. I wish they did more songs in Italian.

'Comalies' is half Italian-half English and not their best song. Check 'Senzafine' from " Unleashed Memories" that song slays, all sung in Italian and I wished they would have continued like that.

Couple of other great tunes that come to mind:
Judas Priest song "Pestilence And Plague" from Nostradamus.
Mollo/Martin "Amore Silenzioso" from Cage II

Not metal, but if you like Italian vocals check Dunwich first three albums all in Italian (the last one is part in Italian, part in English). Kind of progressive, ambiental, folk rock, I like it a lot.

I haven't heard it but Priest sings in another language? :erk:

The storms from the gods make us
Perish with hunger.
Starvation and drought
Are unleashed on this earth
Reap what you sow
From our greed and our treasures
Far more than we need
Now far more than we're worth

Nella tentazione
Cercando lagloria
Il prezzoda pagare
E'la caduta dell'uomo

Now can we live
In dispair and in sorrow
Our children are lost
With all that we love
Plague spreading forth
To lay waste to our culture
Civilizations demise from above

Nella tentazione
Cercando lagloria
Il prezzoda pagare
E'la caduta dell'uomo

This world revolves and I foretell
The end of man resides in hell
For you can see that in my heart
We will depart

Nella tentazione
Cercando lagloria
Il prezzoda pagare
E'la caduta dell'uomo

Nella tentazione (Into temptation)
Cercando lagloria (In search of glory)
Il prezzoda pagare (The price we pay)
E'la caduta dell'uomo (The fall of man)

No wonder I keep avoiding this album like a plague :heh:

Just a few bands which haven't been mentioned yet:

Norwegian lyrics:
The Third And The Mortal (atmospheric doom):
"Grevinnens bønn" on their debut EP "Sorrow" and "Vandring" and "Lengsel" on their debut album "Tears Laid In Earth"
Skumring (atmospheric doom): all three songs on their only album "De glemte tider"
Bergtatt (folk rock/metal): all songs on their debut "Røtter" (So far, their doom metal song "Daudens klør" - also featured on their myspace-page - is the one which I like best.)
Midnattsol (folk metal): "På leting" and "Tapt av håp" on "Where Twilight Dwells" and "Skogens lengsel" and "En natt i nord" on "Nordlys"

Portuguese lyrics:
Ava Inferi (doom-related metal in the vein of early The Third And The Mortal):
"Vultos" on their debut "Burdens", "A Danca Das Ondas" on "The Silhouette" and "Appeler Les Loups" (currently featured on their myspace-page) and "Tempestade" on "Blood Of Bacchus"

Nella tentazione (Into temptation)
Cercando lagloria (In search of glory)
Il prezzoda pagare (The price we pay)
E'la caduta dell'uomo (The fall of man)
[/I]

No wonder I keep avoiding this album like a plague :heh:

Good tune. You should give it a try :headbang:

Good tune. You should give it a try :headbang:

I gave the whole album a try and it failed, I guess Nostradamus didn't predicted this to happen :lol:

On the topic, I'm really hooked with Ossian. I don't care I don't understand squat and I can't sing along, love the music. Hungarian suits very good to metal IMO.

one band not mentioned from "way back" - remember the band Demon Eyes -"Rites of Chaos" album?

also,

i first heard about Brujeria from an employee at indie record store.

i get the feeling that if i'm ever in a spanish speaking country "blasting it" with the windows open-am i offending anyone?!:zombie:

one band not mentioned from "way back" - remember the band Demon Eyes -"Rites of Chaos" album?

also,

i first heard about Brujeria from an employee at indie record store.

i get the feeling that if i'm ever in a spanish speaking country "blasting it" with the windows open-am i offending anyone?!:zombie:

I despise Brujeria not only musically but also because their lyrics were pretty racist IMO. The whole myth was the band were members of some drug cartel, but in the end I guess it was just controversial PR same as Slayer have done for years, sellings you know? :rolleyes: (since the members are well known http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/search.php?name=brujeria)