Why don't Mike and Peter like TNATSW?

Hello people!

I don't wanna slag off any of my/our older tunes, but with TNATSW it's different as I wrote that to my grandfather who'd passed away and it was terrible. Much like the whole recordings of the new albums was "tainted" by my grandmothers passing.
This together with the fact that I don't like the production of the "Morningrise" album at all + some of the riffs for that song feels really "old" today. I liked it at the time and I still think it's a good song, but if I have to chose my least fave Opeth song then that is it.

I consider all songs a document of that time and TNATSW is no exception, but I can't really relate to that tune anymore. Lyrically it's one of those songs I just wanted to leave behind as soon as I was done, you know.

As for Moonlapse I think it could have been fantastic, but the recording isn't as good as it should have been. Some ideas on that tune are fanstastic if I may say so myself.
It's just so hard to get it right when we play it, and I can't really understand what's the problem, so I guess we'll leave it out for now.

Take care guys
Mike
:headbang:

Hey Mike... Fully understand where you coming from when you say you want to put that song in your past.

One thing I find kind of odd is that you don't like the production on Morningrise. To me the production on the earlier albums give a nostalgic feel to the music that is missing from most of the music that is being put out today. Don't get me wrong, something definitely can be said for clear production - like Still Life, BWP or Metallica's Black Album... but I also think a lot can be said for what you guys did in the early days with Dan Swano. Some of my favorite recordings are from the 70's... and I think that Orchid and MR share a similiar vibe for me. A lot of Death metal bands today are recorded so well, that instrumentally they sound almost like nu-metal bands like Disturbed, Korn, and System of a Down... or even worse new Metallica...

I agree with Mikael. I, personally, think the musicianship on Orchid and Morningrise is superb and mature. But, the production is horrid.:Smug: I still love those albums, though.

Hey Mike remember the interview you did with the Irish metal mag Metalworks? And you were saying how you had written the lyric 'lonely cesspools' because it sounded cool, but then when you found out what a cesspool was you changed the lyrics sheet to 'lonely resting pools'? I found that absolutely hilarious :headbang:

holy crap... its Mikael Akerfeldt..
I like The Night And The Silent Water... and i adore Morningrise.. don't really think the production is Horrid, maybe in comparison with the latest releases.

I don't know, TNATSW is probably my least favorite on Morningrise. Plus I understand where Mike is coming from. And despite how much of an incredible album i think that Morningrise is, i do think that the sound of it isn't as good as the rest of them, so I guess I could say I agree with it being a bad production. Don't get me wrong, I still love it. Advent is my second favorite Opeth song over all. I remember the first time I listened to Morningrise I didn't like it at all. It was probably because It was right after I had been all over Blackwater Park, though, so I was used to those vocals on BWP. The vocals on Morningrise were so much different and I didn't like them at all, but I learned to love them pretty quickly. Point is, Morningrise is defintely the one album I had the most trouble getting into, but I still love it.