Why don't you like Mathematics ?

Alwin

problem solver
Dec 4, 2003
NL
zapf-mathematics.jpg

counting stuff (storages, harvest) went on in ancient Egypt and ancient Babylonia and there was atronomy in ancient China and the Greek did a lot on geometry, but it really started when the number 0 was invented

not by the Greek, but by the Hindu mathematicians Aryabhata and Varamihara in India around or shortly after the year 520 A.D.

Alwin said:
counting stuff (storages, harvest) went on in ancient Egypt and ancient Babylonia and there was atronomy in ancient China and the Greek did a lot on geometry, but it really started when the number 0 was invented

not by the Greek, but by the Hindu mathematicians Aryabhata and Varamihara in India around or shortly after the year 520 A.D.

So geometry is not mathematics? I thought it was.

Mathematics is pretty young then :D

Dhatura said:
So geometry is not mathematics? I thought it was.

Mathematics is pretty young then :D
yes geometry is also part of mathematics, but without the number zero a lot of the calculations are not valid

I was pretty good at math back in high school (got highest possible grade at the exam and everything) and I still hated it. My teacher told me I got 13 (which is only given to outstanding replies, meaning you can answer all questions correctly and still not get it), because I'd solved this one question in a totally irregular manner. I laugghed my ass off, was just the easiest way, spared me all the trouble with lousy formulas and stuff.

Anyway, my point was, I still found it boring as hell. Might be lack of knowledge, and if I'd kept at it, I'd discover the math muse.

siderea said:
where does the word algebra comes from?
The first treatise on algebra was written by Diophantus of Alexandria in the 3rd century AD. Algebra comes from the Arabic word al-jabr an ancient medical term meaning "the reunion of broken parts.''

[don't you just love copy & paste]

Alwin said:
The first treatise on algebra was written by Diophantus of Alexandria in the 3rd century AD. Algebra comes from the Arabic word al-jabr an ancient medical term meaning "the reunion of broken parts.''

[don't you just love copy & paste]

i know, but i'm at my job and i'm already having 20 google windows open trying to look for the history of liquors and more specific elixirs and there's little to be found. any help = welcome :)

it's a pretty meaning that al jabr.
hello, my name is doctor love, expert in al jabr :cool:

siderea said:
i know, but i'm at my job and i'm already having 20 google windows open trying to look for the history of liquors and more specific elixirs and there's little to be found. any help = welcome :)

it's a pretty meaning that al jabr.
hello, my name is doctor love, expert in al jabr :cool:
algebra can be beautiful, for example reading a nice paper or proving your own theorem; but it can be very frustrating as well, when you don't understand some derivation or when you can't prove your theorem :yell:

siderea said:
i think it all went wrong when i got that maths teacher who thought he was some 'funny' stand up comedian.
he even wrote poems on our exams.
such people can ruin it yeah, you need teachers who explain stuff and that's all :D

when did you discover maths alwin?

i just remember my brother told me that the two ends of
a straight line (which isn't a line but a collection of infinite dots) wouldn't meet if they'd go around the world
then something changed in my brain.
though i dunno if i can gasp these kind of statements.
hmm.

infinityyyyyyy

I started liking it in my third year on the university; before that it was just formulas to me, but then I started to see what it was all good for