WIDOW "Nightlife" reviews

CruzDelSurMusic

New Metal Member
Apr 18, 2005
Rome, Italy
www.cruzdelsurmusic.com
From DIGITAL STEEL (NL)

Widow was formed in the winter of 2000 when guitarist Chris got together with John E. and Joshua to express their vision of horror. Peter also possessed the same dark ideas and their union was inevitable. The line-up was complete to execute their brand of horror metal !

The group is influenced by many of their own experiences, plus groups such as King Diamond, Crimson Glory, Warlord, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Yngwie Malmsteen. Widow explores the neo-classical side of heavy metal combined with their death metal roots. The morbid personality of each member comes together to form the unique sound of the band.
Lyric-wise they always liked to play with werewolves and witches burnt at stakes, with the great tradition of 80s horror movies (Basket Case and the such).

Read the above? Oké , now let’s cut the bullshit promo stories. I‘ve listened to this album in my car and I trapped myself on speedin’. Why did that happen do you ask ? Well do you know a certain band called ‘Iron Maiden’? Of course you do. Well let me tell you that ‘Widow’ is musically looking a lot like the British veterans. Only the voice is different. We have some clean vocals, some death vocals and even vocals that are backing the clean/death vocals. Are you still following me ?

The first time I heard ‘Widow’ was with their last album ‘On Fire’ with a lovely looking girl behind the microphone. I guess I played it not more than one time. So here is my second chance or may I say their second chance with me. And I like what I hear. It’s good old fashioned metal, played by some guys who doesn’t take themselves to seriously, and you should do that also.

What I hear is a lot of things from Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Warlord. What I don’t hear is King Diamond, Crimson Glory and Yngwie Malmsteen. They also dare to put two coversongs on this new album, Ain’t talking about love from ‘Van Halen’ and I Stole Your Love from ‘Kiss’. But if you listen carefully to the other nine songs on this album, you could say it’s a coveralbum. But a coveralbum made by good musicians who know what they are doing. Just trying to make that lovely 80s metal, which they like so much and so do I.
To convince yourself listen to First Born and Beware the Night. Close your eyes, get rid of the vocals, and what do you hear ? Yep, you got it right.... Iron Maiden !

So you’ve heard it all before, but in times where every kind of metal has a subgenre and another subgenre, it’s sometimes nice to hear where it all came from.
Rating: 70 /100