Widow - Nightlife

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Widow - Nightlife
Cruz Del Sur - July 14, 2007
By Ryan Starr

WIDOW_Nightlife_100dpi.jpg

Holy crap! Where did these guys come from? When I read Widow’s page on Metal Archives and saw “power metal with harsh vocals” as the description, I was expecting a 3 Inches of Blood copy. Boy was I wrong. These guys go way beyond anything 3IOB have done. While the screaming can sound dangerously close to emo, 90% of the vocals are in the classic power metal style, which is great. But where the music really shines is the guitar work. Dual guitar leads galore! The Harmonies are done in major thirds, like the popular Gothenburg style, but with more intricate lead work, making this band stand above the rest.

Ranging from old school Helloween style riffs ('We Will Meet Again') to Iced Earth style ballads ('Cult of Life'), this album covers a lot of ground, while maintaining a great high energy vibe that will be enjoyed by even the pickiest of listeners. And for those of you who like to remember the good ole days, there are a couple covers on the tail end of this CD (Van Halen and KISS).

With the mainstream popularity of 3 Inches of Blood, there is a new market for this style of music. I hope people catch on to Widow, because they are certainly a step above anything these trendy bands have to offer. What a fantastic album, you’ll find Widow's Nightlife joining Turisas and Deathspell Omega on my best of ’07 list.

Official Widow Website
Official Cruz Del Sur Website

Actually, I liked their debut "Midnight Strikes" much better than this...the leads are even more insane and there are no covers. I'm glad to see their female vocalist experiment is over,too...the duelling male vocals are the way to go for Widow.