Wildlife in the Big City (w/ photos)

David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
No, this raccoon is not dead, he's just sleeping in/on the dumpster next to our apartment. :) We usually see this guy and his friends on a daily basis, but today was the first time we saw this. They seem to be pretty desensitized to people from living in the city. We approached him to take some photos, and he didn't really even seem to care. He was just hanging out, enjoying the weather after lunch.

Take a look!

Attachments

• TorontoRacoon1.JPG
    TorontoRacoon1.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 26
  • TorontoRacoon3.JPG
    TorontoRacoon3.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 26
  • TorontoRacoon5.jpg
    TorontoRacoon5.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 21
  • TorontoRacoon6.JPG
    TorontoRacoon6.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 25
  • TorontoRacoon7.JPG
    TorontoRacoon7.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 21
We had tons of raccoons on the campus of Seattle U., which is right in the heart of the city. I remember one time two were having a bit of the old in/out on the branch of a tree, right at eye level of the second floor windows of the administration building. Needless to say most classes on that side were pressed up to the glass, and a large crowd was gathered at the base of the tree....

Just a few weeks back a pregnant coyote was caught running around downtown Detroit. Apparently coyotes are proliferating in the area over the last couple of years. I haven't seen any in my quiet, suburban neighborhood but I have seen plenty of rabbits and possums - no raccoons, though...

482862617_54605d33c2.jpg

Grouse ~10 feet from the road.

450153060_01dfe37df1.jpg

Ducks probably don't count, but this one was in a park near my house.