Will i get in trouble with L. Ron Hubbard ?

Dec 13, 2011
France
www.facebook.com
I have this song that i wrote with my band which talks about religion & cults etc. I had this idea of putting a passage of hubbard's famous "speech" about Xenu in the song. Basically is it copyright protected ? Other bands have done similar stuff but not about scientology. Is there any way i could get problems with that ? A part of me is saying "fuck it just put it and be gone" and another wants to be sure :D

I'd also like to know more about copyright stuff. I have a clip from a movie that my band uses live and we wanted to add it to our album, and I did post a thread about this about a year or so ago, and got some mixed responses. I think it depends on the length of the clip you are using. If you are signed to a major label, it is the labels job to take care of the copyright stuff, as far as I know. If you are just another local band putting out an album or demo, you should be fine....but don't quote me here. I'm sure someone else can join in with more info.

Just from this thread they are sending out a surveillance team in a carpet cleaning van to watch your house. :lol:

^ so that's why there's a black van with a huge antenna in front of my house :D

I mean it's a different case than if it was a movie or somebody elses music

The audio was taken from a youtube video

Re-sample..... thought about it but meh wouldn't be the same...

We're just a little band and it's for our demo

Last edited by a moderator:
The government is a public entity and afaik can't copyright speeches unless they get explicit leave to do so.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/usc_sec_17_00000105----000-.html

The church of Scientology is a private company and can copyright their intellectual property.

I'd just advise to use at your own risk. Shit got real recently with copyrights and intellectual property. And doubly so with a huge thing like the Scientologists. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they have a team of people in a wing of a building just looking for this kind of shit.