Will METALLICA Play 'Enter Sandman' At MARIANO RIVERA Ceremony?

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
According to the New York Daily News, METALLICA is rumored to be taking part in New York Yankees pitcher Mariano Rivera retirement ceremony on September 22 at Yankee Stadium. METALLICA's 1991 classic has been a staple of Yankees games for years, heralding the entrance of Rivera, who is considered to be one of the greatest relief pitchers of all time.METALLICA is teaming up with SiriusXM to bring back the Mandatory Metallica channel, and will celebrate with a special show on September 21 at Harlem's world-famous Apollo Theater in New York City that will air live nationwide.Rivera was presented with a METALLICA gold record by the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland on May 13 for "Enter Sandman". Said Rivera: "I've got a gold record, brother. Without even singing, I have a gold record."The presentation was made by Indians team president Mark Shapiro and the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame president Greg Harris.The pitcher, will retire after this season, told the paper: "I think it was well done. Whoever thought of the idea of giving me a gold record with the song 'Sandman', it was great. I appreciate that and I know it will have a special place in my house.""Enter Sandman" was featured as the opening track and lead single from METALLICA's eponymous 1991 album. The song was produced by Bob Rock, and the music was written by Kirk Hammett, Lars Ulrich, and James Hetfield. Vocalist and guitarist Hetfield wrote the lyrics, which deal with the simplest concept of a child's nightmares.The "Enter Sandman" single was certified gold in the United States for sales in excess of 500,000 copies. Acclaimed by critics, the song is featured on all of METALLICA's live albums and DVDs released after 1991 and has been played live at award ceremonies and benefit concerts. It is considered to be METALLICA's signature song to the general public.METALLICA's self-titled "black album" has sold more than 16 million copies in the U.S., according to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

More...