Will Trilian work in drop G#?

Fandus

Aug 13, 2009
hey,

can anyone who owns trilian here help me out by telling me if i would be able to use it for bass lines in drop G#?

just as this program was probably made with standard tunings in mind when sampling the basses, i doubt they would have drop tuned those basses this low.

anyone ever used it for G# work?

So the bass would be playing in the same octave as the guitars? So instead of dropping it 8 semitones I raise it 4?

Would this be the smart thing to do to a real life bass also?

I'm not the best to say as personally I don't like the idea of 8 string guitars in general as even 7 string guitars tend to sound like shit porridge at drop G#, but I would still say trillian vs a real bass is a totally different beast. I would use a 5 or 6 string bass with 8 string guitars. Also I would encourage trying getting creative with your bass lines instead of just doing the "playing the root an octave below" because the bass does have 4-6 strings and lowest string is most likely pretty awful in the mix at G# tuning.

Fair enough to each their own!

But can anyone confirm trillian playing in proper G# tunings? I'm thinking of buying it and this something I would like to know prior to doing so.

haha, not really i get it, will sound bad.

so if a band was wanting to record in G# how would you all go about it? tune up i'm guessing? any other tips?

use a sine wave for intonated notes

use a cross over between the sine wave and the bass

the idea is to eliminate the note entirely from the original bass track, and replace it with the clean sine. you treat the original bass track like any other bass track, add grit or distortion or whatever you wanna do, even apply normal eq's like you would. then at the end of the chain, high pass the shit out of it and then low pass at the same frequency on the sine wave

the bass playing needs to be good too, maybe even tuned in some spots, especially if its more than 7 cents off of the target note

Try this.

Try this.

thanks a ton man, trying it out tomorrow! is the idea of that sine wave to be a straight up pure sinewave (pro tools signal generator) or a more textured sine out of some kind of virtual instrument?

I'll answer that with this:

the idea is to eliminate the note entirely from the original bass track, and replace it with the clean sine. you treat the original bass track like any other bass track, add grit or distortion or whatever you wanna do, even apply normal eq's like you would. then at the end of the chain, high pass the shit out of it and then low pass at the same frequency on the sine wave