Wings of Blackening lyrics

markFreak

New Metal Member
Jun 26, 2010
Love all of Kalmah's albums for the music, but the lyrics of "Wings of Blackening" from their "For the Revolution" album struck me:
(excerpt)

Hey Mr.Charles where are you now?
Knocking at the heaven's door
But there's no-one around?
Standing behind your theory
That a man comes from an ape?
Or can't you see all that God has created?

Hey Mr.Adolf where are you now?
Trying to find the path to the light in vain?
Standing behind your theory of inequality?

Hey Mr.Vladimir where are you now?
Standing behind your theory of ideology?
Where have gone all you ideas now?

Not quite sure what to think of this, I'll try to put things carefully here: Does Pekka, who wrote the lyrics according to the booklet, think that the theory of evolution (Mr Charles = Charles Darwin), fascism (Mr Adolf = Adolf Hitler) and the ideology of communism (Mr Vladimir = Vladimir Lenin) have anything in common or something to do with each other?
I don't dare to think even further before I get an answer by Pekka or someone else from the band ... Please clarify!
By the way: The line "That a man comes from an ape?" means that Pekka, apart from poor grammar, obviously has not understood the theory of evolution ...

Love all of Kalmah's albums for the music, but the lyrics of "Wings of Blackening" from their "For the Revolution" album struck me:
(excerpt)

Hey Mr.Charles where are you now?
Knocking at the heaven's door
But there's no-one around?
Standing behind your theory
That a man comes from an ape?

Hey Mr.Adolf where are you now?
Trying to find the path to the light in vain?
Standing behind your theory of inequality?

Hey Mr.Vladimir where are you now?
Standing behind your theory of ideology?
Where have gone all you ideas now?

Not quite sure what to think of this, I'll try to put things careful here: Does Pekka, who wrote the lyrics according to the booklet, think that the theory of evolution (Mr Charles = Charles Darwin), fascism (Mr Adolf = Adolf Hitler) and the ideology of communism (Mr Vladimir = Vladimir Lenin) have anything in common or something to do with each other?
I don't dare to think even further before I get an answer by Pekka or someone else from the band ... Please clarify!
By the way: The line "That a man comes from an ape?" means that Pekka, apart from poor grammar, obviously has not understood the theory of evolution ...
Interesting interrogations Mark but i don't think you will receive an answer. Why? Because lyrics aren't meant to be explained, you interpret them the way you want, and that's the beautiful thing...

Could very well be that I don't get an answer, but it's not true that lyrics are simply there for individual interpretation. Often, lyrics express the feelings or opinions of the one who wrote them, music is often used as a means to transport messages.
There are indeed those kind of lyrics that want to be interpreted, these texts often use poetic language, metaphors, to stimulate the reader's or listener's imagination.
But in this case the lyrics refer to real historical characters from politics and science that caused great political debates and affected the lives of millions of people, still today. So, Pekka obviously has a message to tell, I'm just not sure if I understood it the way he intended.

alright lemme just say that these lyrics are pretty obvious in their meaning. each topic/person being talked about is being "judged" and he is saying that with these guy's views, do they not see all that god has created as if what they act upon is going against that. now the part about darwin. he is saying "where are you now" (dead) knocking at the heaven's door with no one beside him supporting him, while supporting his theory that man comes from ape. pekka understands the theory of evolution, you just have to read the lyrics in the context they were written/sung in.

There was a big debate on this forum close to two years ago about those lyrics. That's a little why I chose my nickname...

Two years later, I'm still not sure about the meaning of this song. Does Pekka really understand or not the theory of evolution? Not clear. Are the lyrics to this song should be read in the first level? If so, Pekka really doesn't understand theory of evolution and we should be sad about that. But, maybe, and that's what I hope, he wrote those lyrics in the shoes of somebody who doesn't understand the theory of evolution...

This may seem a ridiculous hope but, well, I prefer this interpretation!

Exactly, that's my hope/fear as well! It's always very clumsy and un-smart to mention an insane mass murderer like Hitler in the same song/context as an acknowledged scientist like Darwin, even more so as Hitler abused and misinterpreted Darwin's theory! Hence, if someone mentions fascism and the theory of evolution in the same context he is very likely to be misunderstood, so in order to prevent him being put in a "certain corner" he should make his point clear instead of making insinuations. And, by the way, the theory of evolution does NOT postulate that "man comes from ape"!

" the theory of evolution does NOT postulate that "man comes from ape"!»

Of course. That's one of the many reasons I wrote "If so, Pekka really doesn't understand theory of evolution". But the worst, for me, is "Or can't you see all that God has created?". It sound a lot like creationism. I can't imagine people from a country as evoluated ( ;-) ) as Finland being creationist...

So, I prefer to think that this song is only based on a "What should happen if ..." hypothesis...

I think you're a bit unkind here saying that somebody might not "understand the theory of evolution". You might understand what Darwin meant and still not like it. Creationists and evolutionists have very interesting debates that I encourage you to watch. It is up to every person to pick a side - each has good points. Putting Darwin and Hitler on the same level by the artist might be much for some - but artists are allowed to do whatever they please. They are allowed to have their own views like any other person and have an enormous privilege to share it with others. As Kalmah fans, and being on their forums, I think we should show some more respect.

Of course everyone has the right to like or dislike something, but the bottom line of having an opinion of one's own is to know what one's talking about, and in this case Pekka obviously didn't understand what the theory of evolution really says, just read the lyrics of that song (especially the first few lines) and then our comments.
Of course artists can utter their opinion, but that doesn't mean that everyone else must share their views. And talking about respect: Paying your hard-earned money to listen what someone has to say means a great deal of respect, and you can hardly show any more respect to a musician than occupying yourself with his lyrics; but that doesn't mean you have to swallow everything he says! Hopefully Darwin is right with his interpretation of that song ...
And, by the way, believe me: I do know what creationists have to say, that's the reason why I can definitely say that their views are far below any thinking man's level of intellect. And no, creationists have no good points, believe you me.
There is a reason why creationism is not "taught" at any well-respected university ...