Winston-Salem Show 5/10

Prometheus

May 11, 2001
Cary, NC
Went to the Winston-Salem Show last night (Thursday)...

Setlist:
White Cluster
The Drapery Falls
Advent
Credence
Demon of the Fall

Everything must have started pretty early overall, my wife and I got to Ziggy's a little before 9, and God Forbid was already done, and Angel Dust started right when we got there...

Agel Dust sounded pretty decent, the crowd definately seemed to be into them, but I'm not familiar with them at all, so didn't do a whole lot for me, sounded pretrty good though

Then Opeth came up...

Wow, they sounded a whole lot better than I had expected...Everything was real tight, and sounded absolutely awesome in my opinion....

I was really surprised to see them decide to play Credence....after Advent Mike talked with Peter for 2 seconds and then announced "We just changed our setlist..." went on to mention how they fucked up in Charlotte, and they decided to play Credence...Wow...pretty damn awesome...then Demon of the Fall

Mike, Martin, and Peter all headbanged through much of the show, but otherwise stayed in they're places....

There were plenty of XL T-shirts (Blackwater Park and North American Tour April/May 2001), stickers, etc....

Unbelievable overall...

But then it was over, I was hoping since they got an early start that they'd play longer, but oh well...I'll have to wait and see them again next time...

Anyway, I guess that's all I can say for now

You got Credence but lost out on Forest of October? Sounds like you got the short end of the stick there! :( Credence is cool, but FoT is 10 minutes longer. heheh. Seems like they rotated out FoT for Credence and Leper Affinity, but in this case they didn't play the latter.

As long as you enjoyed it of course. I wish I could've seen Credence. Been listening to MayH a lot since seeing them in Brooklyn.

Man, they rule.

-slateman.

Yes, the Winston-Salem show was INCREDIBLE. Definitely better than the Charlotte show. Much more energy from the crowd and thus from the band. I didn't take any photos this time around, because I needed to dedicate my time to headbanging up front and enjoying the moment. I was shouting for Credence inbetween every song, because I knew they'd play Leper Affinity otherwise, and I had already seen that in Charlotte (nice to have a little setlist change).

I spoke with Peter and Mike pretty extensively after the show. They are of course extremely happy with discovering how large their fanbase is in the U.S., but won't return until their next album AND won't return unless they are HEADLINING. Smart move.

Nevermore really ticked me off. After the first song, the singer said "We're Nevermore, we play more up-tempo. None of that slow SHIT...". Perhaps it's a joke for the beer-fueled rednecks in attendance, but lame nonetheless.

Yes, it was an incredible show to say the least. They played flawlessly. I spoke with Martin Lopez a little after the show about a few things and put a heavy emphasis on "Thanks for coming" and "Please come back", haha. Let's just hope it works. Sorry I missed you Jesse. I was right up there in front of Peter for the show, and purposely straying away from the pit. I can't blame the guys for wanting to headline. They more than deserve it. The extra playing time will be great, as 5 songs just aren't enough. Most of you will concur, I'm sure. As far as the Nevermore comment goes. I was outside at the time and didn't hear it but I agree, lame. They weren't bad but I found myself yawning a few times during their set because the "up-tempo and no slow SHIT" gets rather stale and boring after a while. But all-in-all it was a great experience and hopefully it won't be the last.

-Biowaste

Opeth was awesome last night. I never thought I'd see them play in the US. They blew me away. I stood in awe the whole time and couldn't beleive my eyes. I thank the heavens for the bliss I experienced.

Nevermore's music is "uptempo"? wow, have I been missing something on all their albums? ;) I'm sure warrel didn't mean it out of spite. Just the fact that Nevermore isn't the fastest band out there (they're probably slower than most opeth songs, IMHO) and also they aren't uptempo indictates kind of an in-jest type of thing ... I hope :cry:

I need one of those Opeth shirts with Blackwater Park cover on the front and the tour dates on the back. But unfortunatly Opeth is not coming to WA and I can't go far distances to see their show right now. Anyone know if you can get these shirts online somewhere? Or can you only get them at the live shows?

Originally posted by Prometheus
Went to the Winston-Salem Show last night (Thursday)...

I was really surprised to see them decide to play Credence....after Advent Mike talked with Peter for 2 seconds and then announced "We just changed our setlist..." went on to mention how they fucked up in Charlotte, and they decided to play Credence...Wow...pretty damn awesome...then Demon of the Fall

Yeah I was at the Charlotte show. Mike broke a string and his backup guitar was fucked or somehting so he grabbed the mic and sang "Demon" instead. I was one of the few who was there primarily for Opeth. The crowd didn't get into them too much I didn't think. They were really cool after the show though. I talked to Peter for a few minutes and they all signed my cd so that was cool. I thought they played a good set overall and Nevermore kicked ass too.