Wiring a Room

Evan Hoyles

Nov 2, 2009
My parents are building a new house and are giving me a room for recording so I'm hyped. Its going to be divided up into a control room and small live room but I need help with the wiring. I'd like a 16 xlr in out on each side of the wall 2 quarter inches to connect heads and cabs in separate rooms and a few headphone jacks. The electrician will wire everything but I need to find and buy the right stuff. What exactly do I need/ can someone point me in the right direction. Thank!

My parents are building a new house and are giving me a room for recording so I'm hyped. Its going to be divided up into a control room and small live room but I need help with the wiring. I'd like a 16 xlr in out on each side of the wall 2 quarter inches to connect heads and cabs in separate rooms and a few headphone jacks. The electrician will wire everything but I need to find and buy the right stuff. What exactly do I need/ can someone point me in the right direction. Thank!

Don't forget an instrument cable in the multicore. For those guitarists / bassists who have a combo, a speakercable won't help you :D

Don't forget an instrument cable in the multicore. For those guitarists / bassists who have a combo, a speakercable won't help you :D

Good call if anyone else notices anything i could be missing let me know. Im in Canada but ill check out those sites thanks.

Most electricians really don't specialize in the area of audio interconnections you understand? As far as the mains hookups are concerned you should leave that to a pro. Besides which, you haven't stated which country you're in and therefore where you're able to source supplies and what level of building codes you need to adhere to.

Besides which, you haven't stated which country you're in and therefore where you're able to source supplies and what level of building codes you need to adhere to.

You can tell by from his writing where he is from. Using imperial measures ("quarter inches") is almost always a pretty good hint that he is most likely from the states, because rest of the world uses almost exclusively metric system.

But to answer the original question, I would make a 16 in 4 out snake, because you want the musicians to hear something too.

You can tell by from his writing where he is from. Using imperial measures ("quarter inches") is almost always a pretty good hint that he is most likely from the states, because rest of the world uses almost exclusively metric system.

But to answer the original question, I would make a 16 in 4 out snake, because you want the musicians to hear something too.

The imperial measurement system was defined in the UK though.

Most 'older' people here in the UK are still lost if you talk in metric.