Wolf or anyone Amp knowledgable HELP!! My 5150 is Fucked!!!

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
Well i just pulled my 5150 out of its case to find the ground was ripped off the power cable. Some asshole last week at a gig was plugging it up and ripped the fucking ground pin off my power plug!!!

Whats the best way to fix this without fucking shit up. I AM FUCKING PISSSEDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant do reamps that I have to do cause of this as I have a retarded fucking ground loop now!

Would that not just be a case of cutting the plug off stripping the wires back and wiring on another plug?

man up and plug that bitch in without the ground prong, just don't play guitar standing barefoot on cement in a pool of water while firmly grasping the metal frame of the amp.

flame on

Green ground, white is neutral, black hot for US AC.

quick) Pin is gone, metal is still there in the plug? Cut back about an inch from the plug so you can see what color goes to which pin and run continuity on a multimeter. Solder on a new end plug and put shrink-wrap over the new cord.

better) find a computer power supply cable, pull the chassis out of the head and solder in a new one

best) put in a IEC plug in the chassis.

The only real way to fix is to rewire the power cable, you can cut off the current plug and rewire it or completely rewire in a new cable.

Green is ground, white is neutral and black is hot.

EDIT: ^^ Sprack beat me to it. My best recommendation is to upgrade to an IEC plug.

Im about to cry ....lol

This really sucks, I never wanted to fuck with my 5150, resale value just went through the floor :(

Not really, repairing an amp does not drop its value, considering that used 5150's go for 500-700, repairing a broken power cable will not drop its value below 500.

You could always get an IEC Power Jack installed from FJA mods...
5150back.JPG

Green ground, white is neutral, black hot for US AC.
This. Go buy a $3 plug from home depot and spend 5 minutes fixing it. Usually the screws in the replacement plugs are color coded.
Green Screw = Ground = green wire
Silver screw = Neutral = white wire
Brass screw = hot = black wire.

It's insanely easy. No one will care that you replaced a power plug. I understand being upset, but it's really not a big deal.

Sorry I'm late. Glad you got it fixed. But as a few others have said, throw in an iec connector so you can just use any cable.Will prevent the issue from happening again.

Well i just pulled my 5150 out of its case to find the ground was ripped off the power cable. Some asshole last week at a gig was plugging it up and ripped the fucking ground pin off my power plug!!!

Whats the best way to fix this without fucking shit up. I AM FUCKING PISSSEDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant do reamps that I have to do cause of this as I have a retarded fucking ground loop now!

I'm sorry to hear that

I will pray for you, I hope your problem solved

and your 5150 back to normal

GBU