My 5150 has died... Help?

Punkyskunky

Engineer at Brett Brothers Studio
Mar 8, 2014
Turkey
www.thomasbrettmixing.com
Hey guys,

I've been using my Kemper on most projects recently so my 5150 has been sitting in the corner of my studio gathering dust for around 2 months now.

Today I decided to use the 5150 for a change. I hooked it up to my Marshall 1960AV cab, switched it on and left it to heat up for a while. I came back to the studio an hour later with my guitarist, plugged in his Schecter Blackjack, turned up the gain and the master volume on the 5150 and there's no sound?!?

At first we thought it might just be a faulty cable or dead battery in the Schecter but neither was the case. We tried several other amps with the guitar and cable to make sure and they all worked perfectly... The strange thing is, I re-tubed the Peavey the last time I had used it 2 months ago and it was the best it had ever sounded. Ever since then it has literally not moved or been plugged in.

The 5150 turns on normally, but the volumes on both channels do absolutely nothing. I've made %100 sure that every other part of the signal chain is in perfect working order, so the problem has to be the 5150...

I'm not great when it comes to electronics or amp-repairs, the only thing I've ever done myself is to replace tubes when needed. If it's something simple then I'll probably try and fix it myself as I'd rather not spend £50 getting it fixed...

Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help :D

try to short the serial fx-loop-jacks with a short patchcable. i had a couple peavey-amps with bad jacks on the bench in the past... maybe it just something like this.

I've heard about the FX loop issue, too; try what KHE said and see if it helps. Also try swapping the tubes out with known good tubes from your other amps. Even new tubes crap out sometimes with little to no use.

Plug your guitar directly into the effects return and you'll be able to figure out if the problem lies in the preamp or power amp stage. I always do this when diagnosing a problem.

Any luck? Interested in seeing how this turns out. There's enough people with 5150's to one day stumble upon this thread while troubleshooting for years to come :D