5150 Preamp out.

Impervious

Dec 1, 2006
I'm trying to record my 5150's preamp direct, using the preamp out, then run it through cab impulses. But i'm not sure how to do this silently. Can I turn the amp on with no cab plugged in? Or should i plug my cab in, but have the master volume all the way down.

Help! haha

this is how i record guitar, and as far as i know theres no way to do it besides being loud, so i blanket the fuck out of my cab to make it as quiet as possible

definitely DO NOT play through it without a cab or some sort of speaker load connected though

and does anybody know why changing the volume changes the preamp volume? i always thought the volume knob controlled only the poweramp section but i guess it has something to do with the preamp also

On my 5150 I can do that with VERY minimal volume through the cab. Just enough to hear what I'm playing, and the preamp out signal is nice and strong.

But yeah - never turn on the amp without a cab hooked up!

what if we replace the speaker with some kind of load??? i have the same problem (though a shitty amp haha). maybe an arrangment of hi-power resistors? maybe i'll look it up if i have time, but basically you should check the voltage and amperes on the speaker when it's working on the desired level. then go buy some stuff that can handle that kind of power, and have a total load of your cabs impendance (8ohm etc). theoretically it shouldn't create problems...

what if we replace the speaker with some kind of load??? i have the same problem (though a shitty amp haha). maybe an arrangment of hi-power resistors? maybe i'll look it up if i have time, but basically you should check the voltage and amperes on the speaker when it's working on the desired level. then go buy some stuff that can handle that kind of power, and have a total load of your cabs impendance (8ohm etc). theoretically it shouldn't create problems...

I always wondered if a classic 200W lightbulb would do ?

Is the Effects loop on a 5150 Series? If so, when you connect a cable from the Effects Send and no cable going back into the Return (WITH A CAB CONNECTED AS A LOAD) the sound from the cab should be MUCH quieter I would think.?.? Is this so? I can do this with my Revolution, but the sound from the cab is NOT gone (as I would have expected since it is supposed to be a true Serial Loop). If I send the preamp signal out from the Loop Send and nothing Back into the Return (Poweramp Input) it is definitely quieter but still there. I have had 2 Rev heads and I seem to remember the first one to be quiet when I tried this (although it was a while ago and wasn't tried many times).

Is the Effects loop on a 5150 Series? If so, when you connect a cable from the Effects Send and no cable going back into the Return (WITH A CAB CONNECTED AS A LOAD) the sound from the cab should be MUCH quieter I would think.?.? Is this so? I can do this with my Revolution, but the sound from the cab is NOT gone (as I would have expected since it is supposed to be a true Serial Loop). If I send the preamp signal out from the Loop Send and nothing Back into the Return (Poweramp Input) it is definitely quieter but still there. I have had 2 Rev heads and I seem to remember the first one to be quiet when I tried this (although it was a while ago and wasn't tried many times).

I tried that... And it's not much quieter. I would have figured it would just cut all the sound out, but no, it's just as if it weren't plugged in at all. haha.

Also... When I turn the master volume all the way down, the preamp out signal is too quiet for me to hear, I have to boost it as much as I can to even hear it...

So I guess I'll just have to record loud. :/

Sorry, I may have misunderstood your first post where you said you used the "preamp out". I am not familiar with the 5150 and thought that it maybe had a "Preamp Out" and a separate "Effect Loop Send". So I was saying try the Loop Send. I am guessing this is the way you had originally tried it now.

FWIW I have recorded direct ("Loop Send" into Line Level Input of Firepod) with the Cab as the Load and compared it to using a THD Hotplate (set as Load) as the load and used the same Impulse on both and I cannot pick a difference between the two samples. There may be a difference, but my ears can't pick it. Maybe a Hotplate is what you need. I tried the "Hotplate Line Out" and from memory it sounded different than the Amp's Effect Send so I didn't use it again.

first two channels of a firepod = direct box built in

I think what guitar hack is saying is to run a cable from the effects send with nothing going into the return and then another cable from your preamp out to your interface? Maybe this would cut the signal as the effects return would not have anything coming back in...This way it'd silent or at least quieter even with a load?

if i run out of my preamp out on amp do i need to conect to a direct box then to digi 002?

Also when doing this do i want to run to a mic pre or just a extra input on back of didi 002 with no mic preamp?