Help me with my purchase of a 5150 =)

The 5150 mids combined with the mid-heavy Stiletto Cab (mine had the manly "Rectifier Traditional" name as opposed to it's girly name now:heh:) wasn't a combo I really liked. Too much mid-stuffiness.

Marcus, as for the Slant to Straight Recto cab thing, I am much happier with the Straight. It may not be the difference between the Slant or Straight (probably moreso that it is a different cab with 4 different V30's) but all 4 speakers in the Slant had a VERY pronounced boost at around 6400Hz. The Straight Cab does not have this ANYWHERE near as strong. Again, probably more the speakers than the Slant/Straight thing, but I don't really know, all 4 speakers in the Slant had this. Similar phenomenon as your 2-Chan Recto 6k fizz maybe :lol:.

Nah dude, I'm just busting balls, of course I can totally relate to selling stuff because I'm not happy with it, so I salute you for having the confidence in the belief that switching to a straight would address the issue! (and cool to hear it did; I know I still hear the 6k fizz in Lasse's Dual Rec clips through his straight, but when I get another amp if I'm still not happy I'll definitely consider a straight!)

Well, it's 50+another 45 for shipping.

Anyways, waiting on this guy to see when I can have it shipped. My anticipation grows.

Nah dude, I'm just busting balls, of course I can totally relate to selling stuff because I'm not happy with it, so I salute you for having the confidence in the belief that switching to a straight would address the issue! (and cool to hear it did; I know I still hear the 6k fizz in Lasse's Dual Rec clips through his straight, but when I get another amp if I'm still not happy I'll definitely consider a straight!)

I am not totally attributing the difference to the Slant/Straight thing. Many here have Slants where I don't hear the 6k fizzies anywhere near as much as my old Slant. I am sure it was moreso that I had 4 "ugly" speakers (rather than 1 or 2 that stood out above the others as the best recording speaker in the cab). I truly thought the speakers were damaged in that cab. Since I was changing the cab anyway, I decided on the Straight as it may be more suitable for recording (I don't like mic'ing the top speakers in a Slant as it sounds thinner IMO, also my Trad Cab was a straight). I just couldn't get the idea out of my head that the Slant was 2 separate baffle-boards glued together on an angle compared to the Straight being a 1 piece baffle with 4 speakers on it. I probably overthink things, but I actually do prefer the sound of this Straight Cab, whatever the actual reason is. :loco: :lol:

Anyway, back on-topic, I would still go for the Mint even for $95 extra. I paid $1750 (around US$1500) for my 6505 new. I know I would have jumped on a Mint 5150 for your price.

I have a question about a 5150 purchase also. A friend of a friend said he will sell me a 5150 with a cab (not sure which) for 800$

Deal or no Deal

The 5150 is in pretty good condition although it is missing 2 knobs.

I have a question about a 5150 purchase also. A friend of a friend said he will sell me a 5150 with a cab (not sure which) for 800$

Deal or no Deal

The 5150 is in pretty good condition although it is missing 2 knobs.

From what I've seen around one with missing knobs usually go 400-500 depending on the rest of the amp.

Cab doesn't mean anything until you tell us which one. If it's a peavey cab... fuck, i wouldn't even take it to be honest. Take just the amp head for 4 something and you got yourself a deal cuz the knobs are easy to replace.

Had my 5150 for a good 2 weeks now. I can't decide on a cab.

Marshall 4x12 or Boogie 4x12.

A decent marshall can be had for $250-300 and a beat the fuck up boogie slant 4x12 can be had for $400

I dunno what to doooooo