WOLVERINE!

Mega Girl

New Metal Member
Sep 15, 2012
First off what an amazing band, and at the same time what a shame to see that their set got cut short because the band before them (Xandria) took their nice little time causing a delay in the schedule. Whether it was on purpose or not, I will always remember Xandria as the unprofessional guys who ruined it for me to see Wolverine's set in its entirety. Seriously, as if Xandria were not told how long they had to play their songs? Give me a break!

In any case, Wolverine were AMAZING! And by far the best of the whole festival in my opinion. Here's a video I took of them playing "House Of Plague"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZ0XXDFcCE

They were really good on the main stage but they were at their best when playing the acoustic show the following day. I got goosebumps during all of their performance. Stefan Zell sang with so much emotion and the storytelling part gave even more life to the songs.

As My friend Deb said, they are true artists. Wow... Simply WOW!!

Too bad I didn't get the chance to tell them in person. I have the song Hiding stuck in my head since then...

Steve

Two amazing sets. And as much as I enjoyed the Friday show, Saturday was even more incredible. The emotion pours out of every note these guys play. Hearing the "story" behind some of the music was truly unbelievable. I will never listen to them the same way again.

Furthermore, perhaps the nicest guys you will ever meet. The entire band is one class act.

So proud to have sponsored them this year.

Holy crap, someone needed to pass me the box of Kleenex during the song about Stefan’s wife and daughter. SO glad he shared later that the story had a happy ending! I wasn’t familiar with Wolverine before the fest, but picked up my first CD (Communication Lost) from the vendor room after seeing the acoustic show, and will definitely be checking out the rest of the catalog as well.

As for sets getting cut short, that happened to a lot of bands, including one of my favorites (Circus Maximus). But if you let one band go over and then another and another, the wheels have completely fallen off by the time the headliner goes on. It was unfortunate that some of the sets were shortened, but I did appreciate that the schedule pretty much ran like clockwork this year.

These guys were my favorite performances of the fesitval - both sets were amazing.

PULSE live during the acoustic set is one my my personal highlights in 11 years at the fest.

Two things.

1. I wouldn't fully blame Xandria for this. I'm sure they meant no harm or even meant to go over. They also wouldn't be the first band to do this.

2. While I love Wolverine on disc, they didn't do it for me live. The thing is about Wolverine is they're very much mood type of band where you have to be in the right mood to listen to them. When they went on, I just wasn't feeling it. They're still a great band, but they don't work for me live.

Wolverine was my favorite act of the Prog Power weekend. I think the acoustic set might be one of my all time PP highlights, and I've been to all of them. I agree with Stevie above ... Hiding was phenomenal. I think I even got a tad bit misty during that one .. great tune. Stephan ranks as one of the best singers I've ever seen live.

Britt

You all know where I stand on this one. :lol: I was sad there wasn't more of a response during the main set on Friday, but I knew they would really shine on Saturday, and damn if they didn't. The private acoustic sets have always been one of the best parts of PP.

You all know where I stand on this one. :lol: I was sad there wasn't more of a response during the main set on Friday, but I knew they would really shine on Saturday, and damn if they didn't. The private acoustic sets have always been one of the best parts of PP.

I went into the bathroom to have a bit of a cry because of their acoustic set. I ran into another attendee there who had gone into the bathroom to have a good cry, as well. Holy crap, Wolverine. SO MANY SADS. But they were amazing. And that singer's voice is beautiful.

I can weigh in too about the acoustic concert. What Remains is the one song I would have done a good number of embarrassing things to see live. I didn't cry as much as the rest of you guys, even though I can be sensitive, but What Remains made a teardrop fall on the floor, and Post Life with the background details came close. I was inspired to write Wolverine fanmail after the show, like I did for my other favorites, and a teardrop fell onto the top of the paper by the band's name while writing. Wolverine was the one band I came for that seemed to turn up everywhere from Friday afternoon onward, so we were able to hold several powerful conversations about the lyrical content and emotional depth, and I bought Communication Lost from them when all was said and done.

Of course, Thomas had trouble finding change that wasn't Swedish money. :lol:

I've wanted to see this band live since I heard their first CD and finally got the chance. I loved both performances, but I think I will give the edge to the acoustic show, which was just phenomenal, and one of the best sets of music I've ever seen anywhere. And they were really cool to talk to afterwards. Happy to have sponsored them this year (fun fact: This was the tenth year that Mary & I sponsored a band together. Time flies...).

dt

Anybody with inside info know what song we missed?
Cold Touch?

Ahhh crap they told me and I can't remember now. It was off Cold Light of Monday.

I just got home last night and I'm still working through pictures, but here's one relevant to the topic...

1236968_10151602054406338_1114403506_n.jpg

AHHHH! His Cold Touch!

That is one of my five favorite songs by Wolverine! How I wish it had been played! (Five songs: His Cold Touch, And She Slowly Dies, What Remains, Hiding, Sleepy Town)

In any case, both performances were astounding. As people before me have said, Wolverine are brilliant artists and their songs really hit home.

I feel blessed we got two performances of theirs in very different environments. Many times during the acoustic performance I just sat there with my eyes closed, listened, absorbed.

Thank you again, Wolverine!

Wow is all I can say. I can't tell you how happy I was to sponsor Wolverine as they made this experience unforgettable for me. Between the actual sets they performed to hanging with them, going to lunch, and singing with Stefan. I've attended 13 ProgPowers and nothing will top this one for me. The band is a true class act and I enjoyed conversing with them as much as the shows themselves.

Hearing the meaning behind Pulse and Embrace was just bone chilling. You guys are the best and thanks to Glenn for having the balls to bring a band that could have not gone over well with this audience. IMO, both shows were incredible, but the shining moment was definitely the acoustic set.... probably the best acoustic show I have ever seen. Thanks guys for giving it your all, it definitely showed!

Wow is all I can say. I can't tell you how happy I was to sponsor Wolverine as they made this experience unforgettable for me. Between the actual sets they performed to hanging with them, going to lunch, and singing with Stefan. I've attended 13 ProgPowers and nothing will top this one for me. The band is a true class act and I enjoyed conversing with them as much as the shows themselves.

Hearing the meaning behind Pulse and Embrace was just bone chilling. You guys are the best and thanks to Glenn for having the balls to bring a band that could have not gone over well with this audience. IMO, both shows were incredible, but the shining moment was definitely the acoustic set.... probably the best acoustic show I have ever seen. Thanks guys for giving it your all, it definitely showed!

My best acoustic show ever too. Mesmerizing performance!!!

Thanks for helping making this happen. :)

AHHHH! His Cold Touch!

That is one of my five favorite songs by Wolverine! How I wish it had been played! (Five songs: His Cold Touch, And She Slowly Dies, What Remains, Hiding, Sleepy Town)

Agreed... I guess I would also add the title track from "Communication Lost", but the songs you mentioned represent a good cross-section of their sound IMO, and how they move seamlessly between atmospheric, acoustic stuff and heavy, distortion-filled material.

I was a bit surprised that there weren't that many people at the acoustic show, but I guess with people being tired from the night before, and some of the "power metal only" people skipping it, it shouldn't have been too surprising... but they missed a great, emotion-packed set.

Holy crap, someone needed to pass me the box of Kleenex during the song about Stefan’s wife and daughter. SO glad he shared later that the story had a happy ending! I wasn’t familiar with Wolverine before the fest, but picked up my first CD (Communication Lost) from the vendor room after seeing the acoustic show, and will definitely be checking out the rest of the catalog as well.

There were still copies of Communication Lost in the vendor room after the acoustic show? I wanted one Friday evening and couldn't find any, although there were tons of Cold Light of Monday and The Window Purpose and two of Still. I eventually talked to Wolverine and Stefan luckily had some, so I bought it at the signing table Saturday evening. I really wanted to leave the fest with Communication Lost, so special cheer to the band.