Wolves in the Throne Room : Black Cascade

The Black Death

WoY supporter
Jan 7, 2008
Burial ground... Quebec
http://blog.southernlord.com/

167.pic.jpg

In February Southern Lord will proudly release the vinyl only version of the new Wolves In The Throne Room EP entitled Malevolent Grain, featuring two brand new tracks from the Pacific Northwest organic black metallers. Conspiracy Records will offer a limited edition picture disc of the 12″ for Europe, while Southern Lord will release a black 180-gram version worldwide. Additionally the band will press a limited CD version for tour purposes only. The EP features the band’s newly designed logo crafted by renowned artist Christophe Szpajdel, designer of black metal band logos for Kult Ov Azazel, Emperor, Moonspell and other international acts.

The third WITTR full-length Black Cascade will follow, to be released on March 31st on Southern Lord Records. More info will follow soon on this wholly organic black-drone masterwork. Both the EP and the full-length were recorded to 2-inch tape by Randall Dunn and Mell Dettmer in Seattle this Winter. The new recordings are the first to feature their new guitar player Will Lindsay (Middian) who had previously served as the band’s touring bass player, in addition to longtime members, brothers Nathan and Aaron Weaver.

The band will tour Europe beginning in late January, along with three select US dates. More extensive touring through 2009 is also imminent. In addition to the new EP, other new merch for this tour includes a Live At Roadburn 2008 12″ record, which also includes a DVD and is being released by Burning World Records.

:headbang:

Jesus fuck, i cannot wait for this to come out. WITTR are easily one of my top 5 black metal bands.

I used to really like WITTR, until I realized that they're music was only good at exactly the right time. Unlike some BM, I can't just sit and listen to it. I HAVE to be out in the cold/snow/woods/heat/oppressive condition to enjoy them. I seem to remember that they were great in the desert though.

"Two Hunters" is about as perfect as black metal can ever get. My BM side project Nosferion had the honor and privilege of opening for WTTR when they came through in October with Nachtmystium and it was effing brilliant. The low lighting and the candles helped create a completely hypnotic and trascendental atmosphere - it's like I was thrown into a trance during their set. Nachtmystium was thoroughly enjoyable as well.

Definitely gonna try to pick up the EP, even though it's on vinyl. Black Cascade however, will definitely be purchased.

I remember looking at this thread, only saw the thing on the vinyl. New album in March? SICK! Its my mom's 50th birthday that day too, would make a perfect birthday present :p (Ok maybe not...) Sick, super pumped!

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115578

3331319878_ca76fa89cc_o.jpg

WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM will release its new album, "Black Cascade", this month via Southern Lord Recordings. The track listing for the effort is as follows:

01. Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog
02. Ahrimanic Trance
03. Ex Cathedra
04. Crystal Ammunition

It has been five years since WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM emerged from the rain-soaked Cascadian underground with a singular musical alchemy. The band's previous two studio albums, "Diadem of Twelve Stars" and "Two Hunters", in tandem with their incendiary live performances, have unquestionably established the band as a swiftly rising force in the extreme music world.

Their new meditation, cryptically titled "Black Cascade", shows WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM wholly transcending the limitations of the black metal label to be reborn as an entity entirely unto themselves. The energy conjured by the music is a distinctive manifestation of a personal vision that is not beholden to the rules of any genre.

"Black Cascade" is characterized by a heavy and powerful analog sound and a deft touch with songwriting and arrangement. The crumbling roar of decidedly old-school tube amps unite with layers of mossy analog synthesizer and cataclysmic percussion. Blazing and crystalline Metal riffs slowly collapse and shift into ritualistic dirges that invoke endless rain falling upon the ancient cedars of the pacific North West. It is as if the instruments are controlled by shadowy and elemental forces of nature rather than three forest-dwellers from Olympia, Washington.

This record is an analog monolith that does credit to an intricately layered and ever-shifting psychedelic soundscape churning beneath the unrelenting blast beats and tremolo guitar. Recorded onto two-inch tape and mixed on a 1973 Neve Console by producer Randall Dunn (SUNN O))), EARTH, GRAILS), "Black Cascade" captures the energy of a band who has said that they would prefer that the audience at their concerts would prostrate themselves on the floor and cry.

Intense album photographs, shaped into a lavish eight panel jacket design by Stephen O'Malley, were created by the band deep in the Cascade Mountains. WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM do not publish their lyrics, but the images — intricate tableaus of owl-visaged emperors, wraith beings and mysterious sylvan rituals — hint at the shrouded intent of the band. A mythic space is conjured where the everyday is stripped away to reveal something ancient and transcendent.

Its a pretty solid album, I need to spend some more time with it. It definitely gets rid of the more creepy elements of Two Hunters and just kind of goes for the throat. Again, need more listening time. People won't be disappointed though I think.