J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Wolves in the Throne Room – Two Hunters
Southern Lord – sunn83 – September 25, 2007
By Wayward_Son

wolves.jpg

Two Hunters will certainly split the ranks down the middle. There is no denying that. The funniest part is that the division will most likely not even be music based. Before Two Hunters was even released, Wolves in the Throne Room were catching flack for signing to a label like Southern Lord, known more for two notes of noise that are sold as full length albums and marketed as “deep”, and fourth tier black metal. To be honest, this writer would have to agree. Southern Lord releases garbage, for the most part.

The other non-musical reason Wolves in the Throne Room will be disregarded is one of geography. You guessed it, Faithful Reader. That old dead horse that some elitists have been deriding since its inception, United States Black Metal, is in full swing and continuing its ascendancy. Now some will claim that Wolves in the Throne Room “sound European”, similar to claims that have dogged a band like Agalloch. It is as if these people have built an image projecting the United States as a whole as one gargantuan metropolis. Never mind that the United States also possesses those cherished forests, mountains, and natural aesthetics that inspire musicians. Perhaps the main reason USBM is chastised is the simple fact that Americans cannot claim the cultural hegemony that European black metal bands hold so close to their frozen hearts. Personally, these ears do not listen to a band based on origin. That being said, the majority of USBM is not worthy of even a cursory listen. Within that small contingent of quality American black metal bands lies Wolves in the Throne Room.

As any person remotely familiar with black metal knows, Two Hunters is the band’s second album, following Diadem of 12 Stars in under two years time. Again, we are welcomed to more naturalistic black metal bringing to mind many black metal heroes yet never duplicating them exactly. The ambient intro, ’Dia Artio’, opens Two Hunters nicely. The song flows smoothly and has an imperious aura about it that can lull and frighten simultaneously. With ’Behold the Vastness and Sorrow’, Wolves in the Throne Room reached the peak on the album. The song is an eerie epic reminding this writer of early In the Woods (if you are unfamiliar with this band, no offense, but get out) with its semi-progressive spirit and ability to weave between different paces. It is like a black metal ’Omnio’, a thing beauty and life.

You have got to give Wolves in the Throne Room credit. They are not afraid of what purists (of which yours truly is sometimes accused of being) might think. Women vocals in black metal are nothing new, but rarely has it been used as positively refreshing as the opening of ’Cleansing’. It worked for Abigor, Fleurety, and Helheim, but failed for countless others. Some might call the beginning of the song pretentious or unnecessary, and that can be understood. However, without those angelic vocals, the song would have failed to spark any interest. Two Hunters ends with the eighteen minute ’I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots’. It is the most melancholic song on the album, interlaced with ambient layers, female vocals, tortured screams, fast and slow riffs, and a sense of loss. It works perfectly to close out Two Hunters.

Two Hunters is not a classic, nor is it essential, nor is it even better than its predecessor. What it is, is an interesting and soulful black metal album. That is what should matter to you, Faithful Reader. Ignore the origins of the band, the hipsters, the detractors, and what the album is not. Instead, feel the mysticism of one of the year’s best black metal releases.

Official Wolves in the Throne Room Website
Official Southern Lord Records Website

I disagree with everything in this review. Diadem is not half as good as this album. I don't know how anyone could think it's better. Diadem was great but unfocused and cluttered through most of it. Two Hunters is conceptually a million times better. 10/10

how are you bashing southern lord? Boris, Earth, Sunn, Om... those four right there make it a very worthwhile label. You sir are a dumb fuck.

For what it's worth, I don't like any of those bands either, but I wouldn't go so far as to call SL a garbage label. Black One has its moments, though. Otherwise, I don't listen to much from SL.

A lot of the avant-drone stuff bores me, but to call Southern Lord a rubbish label is in itself rubbish. Ever hear Lair of the Minotaur? Heaviest band since classic Celtic Frost and NOTHING to do with black metal or drone. Also, love the new Tangorodrim. And Glorior Belli are getting good reviews all over the place. For stoner fans, Hidden Hand and Weedeater are a good bet.

Wolves is a strange, unique band unlike anything else. Sometimes too long winded for me, but always unoriginal and always very "natural" sounding.

I will admit, though, that the last Orthodox CD was maybe the worst heavy music I have ever heard in my entire life...:puke:

So we're going to concentrate on the Southern Lord comment instead of the actual review. OK. Granted, the comment was a negative generalization based on the listening experiences of the label's bands.

Lets see: Sunn 0))), Grief, Orthodox, The Hidden Hand, Earth, Boris, Warhorse, Goatsnake, Church of Misery, Khanate, and Striborg are the ones able to muster any memory. The best was easily Church of Misery. Goatsnake and The Hidden Hand were not terrible. Everything else was trash not worthy of any listener's attention.

The entire noise as art movement never impressed yours truly. Either it is music that is beyond the consciousness that is so deep only the most attuned "get" it. Or the music bullshit-o-meter of yours truly is much more in tune with what real art is, and is able to discern between noise and art. Either way, it really does not matter.

Continue enjoying your noise. I will continue enjoying music.

Dr. Abner Mality, no, never heard Lair of the Minotaur. It is not a habit to check out Southern Lord bands after the fiascos that are Khanate, Sunn 0))), Orthodox and Striborg.

As always, thank you for your comments.

Actually, with the exception of some Sunn 0))) moments, those last four bands you mentioned are not high on my lists at all. Fortunately, this doesn't stop me from broadening my horizons with other S.L. bands. Another good one to check out is Urgehal...raw black metal that isn't "necro" crap or overproduced symphonic stuff.

Surely you couldn't be so naive as to think the Southern Lord comment would gather no response?

I heard it yesterday and I think this band is overhyped to death.... probably due to the fact they are signed with SL........ and most SL releases are overrated imo.

I heard it yesterday and I think this band is overhyped to death.... probably due to the fact they are signed with SL........ and most SL releases are overrated imo.

Thanks for discrediting your original statement by stating a completely stupid one.

This album... while good... is far overshadowed by Diadem of 12 Stars. I love WitTR, make no mistake, but I feel this is an inferior effort.

For some odd reason I haven't been able to really get into WitTR all that much, but I'm late on them & I just started listening to them a month or so ago. I can tell they have an acquired sound. I am kinda thrilled about getting to go see them here in 13 hours though with Jesu :kickass:

With the thing about Southern Lord records, it's just not everyone's thing. You can't let it affect you if one reviewer doesn't like it for the most part. Besides he was reviewing "Two Hunters" & not the record label anyways.