Women in metal

Leather Leone is the best female metal vocalist ever as far as I'm concerned :)
Jutta Weinhold (ex-Zed Yago) and Doro come close.

I'm not that much into all those female fronted goth/atmo bands as they've become bloody generic these days, but I must admit Anneke's voice has something special that really gets me.

Marlies said:
I do think though that GENERALLY women vocalists suit rock much better than metal. I LOVE rock singers like Ann Wilson (my all time favorite and idol even without any doubt in the whole wide world ),
Ann Wilson! :worship:

i agree with you
also, Lee Aaron was great and she also does some of her rock classics on her jazz tour these days
Femme Fatale's Lorraine Lewis still tours and has a recent release called "MERCY"

A fav song is Tiamat-"Vote for Love"(who's the chick on co-vocals;forgive my ignorance)

I love chick singers. Period. That said, and oddly enough, you won't find many female-fronted metal bands on my gold pedastal list, (Nightwish's Once and Benedictum come to mind immediately). You'll find a whole wing dedicated to bands that have male and female vocals though.

Girls generally have angelic voices and are great for hard rock more than metal, and anything on the softer side (and I have my soft side). I love them as an addition to metal to offset male vocals and add another dimension to the music.

Also, I don't think the lack of femme-fronted gold pedastal albums has anything to do with the sex of the singer. Fact is, it's all about songwriting. And for some reason, most of the greatest metal albums of all time just didn't happen to have a chick at the mic.

woops-i mean't to put Trans Siberians quote first-i'm still learning computer jargon

another thought-

Helloween did a video with co vocals by a chick-is that Candice Knight from Blackmore's Night in the video?
:headbang:

Hi Guys, take a look to this Brazilian Lady Dio...
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JENNYPAUZNER
Sounds good, uuhh? :headbang:

She sounds good and has a voice strong and powerful enough to do this kind of stuff but, she has all the onstage presence of Michael Angelo's David statue. It's one thing to stand still when singing and I've got no problem with that, but at least look like you're into the music!

Helloween did a video with co vocals by a chick-is that Candice Knight from Blackmore's Night in the video?
:headbang:

Yap. I was pretty surprised when I knew Candice was about to lent her voice for a Helloween song. Actually was one of the reasond that made me justify to buy another mediocre album from them.

She also contributed in Beto Vazquez Infinity self-titled debut.

P.S. And is Candice Night :D

NP: David Gilmour - 'Where We Start'

Absolutely nothing :lol: Great Kat is some great crap to me, with the alleged guitar "wizardry" nowhere to be heard...
Now back to real female metal musicians...

Did any of you boys and gals listen to Crystal Viper? They're a newer trad HM band from Poland and their singer has a pseudonym Leather Wytch :)
Strong voice in the tradition of Doro, Leather and other greats, pretty nice music too. Check them out at http://www.crystalviper.com/

I see almost only female singers are mentioned... What about players, like Jo Bench (bassist for Bolt Thrower) or Simone Wenzel (guitarist for Rebellion)? There are far less players than singers, but they still deserve to be mentioned... ;)

Absolutely nothing :lol: Great Kat is some great crap to me, with the alleged guitar "wizardry" nowhere to be heard...
Now back to real female metal musicians...

Did any of you boys and gals listen to Crystal Viper? They're a newer trad HM band from Poland and their singer has a pseudonym Leather Wytch :)
Strong voice in the tradition of Doro, Leather and other greats, pretty nice music too. Check them out at http://www.crystalviper.com/

I see almost only female singers are mentioned... What about players, like Jo Bench (bassist for Bolt Thrower) or Simone Wenzel (guitarist for Rebellion)? There are far less players than singers, but they still deserve to be mentioned... ;)

I bought the Crystal Viper-cd from Andi Preisig (Battle Cry Records) at KIT VIII and it's an okay album for me. What struck me about the disc, is that the lyrics were written by Bart Gabriel (from Dragonight Agency) and are in very good English. However, Leather Wytch (Mrs. Gabriel I believe), blessed with a truly Doro-like and powerful voice, manages to pronounce the words in such a way that it actually makes them nigh incomprehensible.o_O

Never mind, I love those weird accents (being a non-native speaker myself you see) and, as I said, I like 'Curse of the Crystal Viper' anyway. Sounds like a lost Warlock album from the 'Burning ze witches' phase.

By the way, Crystal Viper are playing the Swordbrothers Festival in the German town of Andernach this Saturday, so if you're in the neighbourhood...

This is not really old school, but if you want to hear a chick with an impressive set of pipes, check out Malsain, mid-tempo black metal from Norway I think. Dunno what her name is.

On another note, here is a nice festival I won't mind attending for the eye candy.

20076127500_valkyrie.jpg