Wondering whether I should sell my amp or not....

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Hmmm. I'm getting a bit bored with my amp. I'm wondering if I should sell it. I've got a Laney VH100R. Admittedly, it is all stock; I am going to try getting it rebiased and retubed in a week or so.

Anyway.... you guys are all knowledgeable. I'm wondering if you'd recommend an amp? My budget could stretch to £1000 if I sold my Laney for £500-£600 and saved a bit of money.

Feature wise; definitely two channel. Footswitchable gains would be a bonus, but not a real must. Not worried about having an effects loop, as I go in front of the amp anyway (love the sound of reverb in the pre-distortion position!).

In terms of tone, stuff that I admire and that inspires me... well, to a greater extent, Tool - ISIS - Red Sparrowes - Russian Circles - Mastodon - Cult of Luna.

Without getting too stuck in genre's, I guess I'm more of a post-rock/post-metal guitarist, rather than a shred-fiend.

Any opinions? Apart from me being a douchebag.:lol:

Hmmm. I'm getting a bit bored with my amp. I'm wondering if I should sell it. I've got a Laney VH100R. Admittedly, it is all stock; I am going to try getting it rebiased and retubed in a week or so.

Anyway.... you guys are all knowledgeable. I'm wondering if you'd recommend an amp? My budget could stretch to £1000 if I sold my Laney for £500-£600 and saved a bit of money.

Feature wise; definitely two channel. Footswitchable gains would be a bonus, but not a real must. Not worried about having an effects loop, as I go in front of the amp anyway (love the sound of reverb in the pre-distortion position!).

In terms of tone, stuff that I admire and that inspires me... well, to a greater extent, Tool - ISIS - Red Sparrowes - Russian Circles - Mastodon - Cult of Luna.

Without getting too stuck in genre's, I guess I'm more of a post-rock/post-metal guitarist, rather than a shred-fiend.

Any opinions? Apart from me being a douchebag.:lol:

at least 1/2 of those bands you listed use marshalls...either exclusively, or blended with something else

Honestly - if its boredom you want to cure then the quickest/cheapest way to cure it with some cool indie/boutique pedals. GASing for a durham crazy horse myself atm.

Or you could swap in some 6L6s - I've heard it with those and an SD1 and its pretty aggressive/dry if you aren't feeling the britishyness of the stock laney.

j