One more recommend me an amp topic - throw it on the pile!

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
Hey dudes,

I'm thinking about moving away from my Fryette Sig X. Well, actually... I'm pretty certain of it.

Now I used to use a Laney VH100R, and I loved it. I could get an amazing tone from that amp, so one idea is to get another one of those again, and be happy. But there's also a world of amplifiers out there to look at too!

I'm looking to get away from KT88 power sections, as I want the bite and early compression of EL34's. So this is my list right now...

Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII - 2 channel
Blackstar Series One 104el34 - 4 channel w/2 eq's
Laney VH100R - 4 channels w/2 eq's
Marshall DSL100 - 2 channels w/1 eq
Marshall JCM900 - 2 channels w/1 eq
Marshall JVM410 - 4 channels w/4 eq's
Fryette Pitbull Hundred CLX - 3 channels w/2 eq's and an assignable graphic eq
Fryette Pitbull CL - 2 channels w/2 eq's and an assignable graphic eq

Feature-wise, preferably 50-100watts, preferably an EQ per channel, and at least 2 channels. So is there anything I'm missing amp-wise? My budget is pretty open, but not astronomical!

If you've not heard my band, you should know we're not really metal. We're a kind of atmospheric hard rock, with elements of metal - ala Tool, ISIS, Cult of Luna, Red Sparrowes. So I don't want an all out-and-out metal head. Not really interested in 5150's or Dual Recto's. Don't really want anything too boutiquey either, but will consider anything at this stage.

If I go the 2 channel route, I'd need a distortion pedal to get my in-between tones, so recommendations for that too please :)

Thoughts?

why not just put EL34s in the Sig:X ?

even if there's not a switch built in to adjust the bias range, it's a fairly easy mod.

I thought the under-gained soundof the JCM900 that Marcus was going on about in your amp comparison would actually have really suited your stuff, Drew.
I'm a fan of post-metal and proggy stuff, and Burst, CoL and Callisto have all used that under-gained, looser sound on their records.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, you REALLY owe it to yourself to check out the new Mesa Rectifiers. The cleans sound nice and the in-between tones are AWESOME, especially for a multi-channel head and ESPECIALLY for a Recto. The high-gain tones are also far better than the previous-gen three channel amps, and in my opinion they are on par with older two-channel models. Seriously, I was skeptical - but all of the alternate voicings that are available are completely usable, and they've pretty much fixed every complaint I've had about Recto amps in the past. I also play progressive/atmospheric/sometimes heavy stuff and the new Triple Rec is absolutely next on my list. At least check it out before you buy anything.

The Orange Rockerverb would also be a great choice, but it isn't nearly as versatile as the updated Rectos are.

If you can find one, get your hands on a Rockerverb 100 MKI. The new version is less aggressive and sound more "tame" to me. I guess, if you're into that, it's a good thing, but the original version was a beast. Probably my favorite high gain British tone I've heard, and I've owned pretty much every high gain British amp there is :p

There is a dude selling a RK MKI 100watt head on the Musicradar forums actually. He wants £750 for it, which is a pretty good price. Tbh, with my budget, I could get it and the Laney VH100R I've got my eyes on. I really do miss that damn Laney!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, you REALLY owe it to yourself to check out the new Mesa Rectifiers. The cleans sound nice and the in-between tones are AWESOME, especially for a multi-channel head and ESPECIALLY for a Recto. The high-gain tones are also far better than the previous-gen three channel amps, and in my opinion they are on par with older two-channel models. Seriously, I was skeptical - but all of the alternate voicings that are available are completely usable, and they've pretty much fixed every complaint I've had about Recto amps in the past. I also play progressive/atmospheric/sometimes heavy stuff and the new Triple Rec is absolutely next on my list. At least check it out before you buy anything.

The Orange Rockerverb would also be a great choice, but it isn't nearly as versatile as the updated Rectos are.

The Recto stuff is also interesting.... I may try and find one to try out.