Bit bored of my DSL 100. Could I use it as a power-amp? Pre-amp recommendations?!

[quote="Evil" Aidy;7442834]
The tone still sounds very much like a boosted mids tone metal tone (Kerry King!)

I'd like to hear your opinions on this. I feel that the controls on the amp don't really "shape" the actual tone that much - or is this just me? Maybe it's a Marshall thing?

[/quote]

Your cab is doing more to the sound than you could possibly imagine. Try another cab with the same settings and see how you like it.

Your cab is doing more to the sound than you could possibly imagine. Try another cab with the same settings and see how you like it.

Cheers for that idea, I hadn't thought too much about that!

I use a 1960a cab with the Celestion 75's in. I've also tried a friends cab with Vintage 30's in but I didn't notice a massive difference. Maybe a bit in the low end...

I've had a DSL100 for quite a some time and I never liked it that much...
I never got a decent palm-mute chugging sound out of it, all my leads sounded shrill and weak and it didn't cut at the rehearsals or live well enough for my liking. It lacked a certain "density" in sound (for the lack of the better word) the way I perceived it... And yeah, the EQ wasn't that effective either!

Long story short, I sold it and bought an Engl Blackmore head and presto - ALL I wanted soundwise I got it right there!
The cab is the same before and after - an 80's JCM800 cab with G12-65 Celestions inside. Sure, the head sounds heaps better with a V30 cab but it's not always the cab to blame IMO.

You're short on cash right now, but I suppose it won't be like that forever... ;)
I feel if you have to use a bunch of extra toys to make your rig sound decent, then the core (the head) ain't working the way you want it to. Anyway, good luck with finding the sound you're after :headbang:

In the quest for a tone that I'm happy with I thought I'd try a few things. The main part of my tone was that it sounded a bit to trebly despite adjusting the treble on the amp.

Generally, I'm using amp sims to get a guitar tone I'm happy with for recording, mainly the JCM 900 boosted with the TS in Amplitube 2 into Boogex. For the leads I've been using a bit of Wagner Mk2.

So I thought, how is it I'm so happy with the Marshall tone in Amplitube 2 but not with my own amp?

I did a comparison by sending the FX loop of the DSL into my Firepod and recording some stuff and sending it to the same impulse I use in Boogex and it sounded pretty much the same!

So then I decided to send the sounds from Amplitube 2 with the cab part bypassed into my FX return on my DSL. It sounded much better and the trebly frequency that was bugging was pretty much gone. Although Amplitube 2 does model the power section too, (which you can't bypass) so I tried the ACM 900 preamp in Revalver MkII to try and get a pure preamp signal and that gave me an awesome metal Marshall tone.

I also tried Wagner Mk2 into it and that sounded great also, plus some of the Mesa's and Peavey pre-amps. Tones galore!

One funny thing that did happen though, when I was setting it up I forgot to adjust the fader in my DAW and...

AAAAAAAAARGH I'm sure the walls of my house were shaking at the volume!

Not only that, I'd somehow routed DFHS to my amp and that was blasting through my cab too! :lol:

I've done a comparison and I can get rid of the harsh treble I keep mentioning by cutting at 800hz on my EQ pedal, it's by no means perect but an Ok work around while I try out some other amps etc

:headbang:

Sweet dude! I had been thinking about trying that with my JSX since I was so much happier with my Wagner II tones through impulses than my JSX tones - but then I sold it :D Post clips though definitely!

Dude, have you tried Laney amps? I got a VH100r recently, and it is the bomb dot com. You can get them from Richtone Music for £599 - a great price!

TS9 (drive low, level high) -->DSL's OD1 channel = awesome. It really tightens and beefs up the amp, makes it sound great for metal. I'm loving it

Sweet dude! I had been thinking about trying that with my JSX since I was so much happier with my Wagner II tones through impulses than my JSX tones - but then I sold it :D Post clips though definitely!

Give it a try dude it's loadsa fun. BE CAREFUL WITH THE FADER THOUGH AND MAKE SURE IT ISN'T MAXED OUT!

I don't think I've ever experienced a volume blast quite like it!

If I get some time I'll try and post some clips...

:headbang:

I've just fired up the DSL again for a bit of an Xmas jam. No work today! :kickass:

Dude, have you tried Laney amps? I got a VH100r recently, and it is the bomb dot com. You can get them from Richtone Music for £599 - a great price!

I've had a go with one, I'm not sure what model it was - possibly a Tony Iommi one?

Nice tone!

TS9 (drive low, level high) -->DSL's OD1 channel = awesome. It really tightens and beefs up the amp, makes it sound great for metal. I'm loving it

Next I'll try combining both the TS9 and the SD-1 pedal see how that sounds. I think I read that Gary Holt used 2 x SD-1 pedals together years ago. Chris Oliva in Savatage did apparently too. Great tones!

I'm finding I really have to go with a downward slope left to right on my EQ pedal to lessen the ear shattering harshness of the amp though all the time.