Recommend me a practice amp.

ItsAFugazzi

boat is boat.
Jun 4, 2008
North East, UK.
www.myspace.com
So, i'm thinking of starting a band. I have two half stacks. A Laney VH100R with a standard Marshall cab and a vintage JCM800 head with a Marshall 1960tv cab. (<-- BIG)

I can't take two half stacks to practice each session. Just not practical for me seeing as I don't have my own transport. So in light of this, I need a practice amp... A good one.

My price range is like £100 - £150. Now I know I can't expect wonders in the world of guitar tone from an amp that cost this much. However, I know a lot of you guys have a lot of experience with various amps etc...

My music is hard rock so I'm looking for something that can produce a good solid rockin' tone.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

- Rick.

I love my Roland Cube 30, it owned the Spider, Vox Valvetronix, and (of course) Marshall MG equivalents I tested it against. Haven't tried a Vypyr though...

I have a roland micro cube 15w for practice home. I got it 50$ used and its by far the best 50$ I have spent. Well maybe second, after vox amp plug (also great for practice especially after midnight) but that was 35$? I think

The thing with the Vypyr also is there was a guy who was talking about firmware issues causing bootup problems, and also some weird hiss/fizz thing - my Cube has never been anything but rock solid reliable, so there's that as well...

It kinda pisses me off a bit that I have to waste money on new amps when I have two perfectly good heads and cabs.

Also there's the issue of the practice amp being different tone wise from my JCM800.

But what ya gonna do?

267648.jpg

:worship:

You could invest the money into a Hot Plate Power Attenuator.. (Full volume tones at bedroom volumes.) That's what I'm about to do, I live in an apartment, sooo.. :/

I was thinking of doing that for the 100 watt head. But that's not what I need a practice amp for. It's because it's not practical for me to take two half stacks to practice each session (my brother is the other guitarist). So it'd be much easier to get amps we could fit in the back of a car.