Another amp question from me

Norris-wf

Sep 27, 2007
Durham, UK
A friend of mine is getting an amp soon and two have popped up on the local second hand market. One is a 10 yr old 5150 with a marshall Cab and the other is a 1 year old 6505 with peavey cab! Both have the bias mod. Which is the best choice in all of your opinions? He wants to get some expert opinions, I thought this would be the ideal place :headbang:

Sean

6505 - its new so you know its sure to run for many years to come. but if your skint on some cash go for the 5150. you never know what your getting into though with old musical gear

As long as it's either a Marshall 1960 or MF cab (there's the MF280 + MF400), definitely that one + 5150. Otherwise, I'd go for the 6505 + Peavey cab. Or ideally, the 6505 + Marshall cab, if each seller will sell them separately! And 5150's are crazy reliable, don't worry about age.

Metaltastic mentioned the MF cabs, the 400 pisses on the 280, better low response and a tighter sound, handles the huge headroom much better than the 280.
Personally I'd just try em both out anbd go with your ears. If you know a decent amp tech, a total ground up restoration of a valve head can be done for about £150. Not exactly bank breaking.