Amp sim at band practice

TheUnknown

May 11, 2009
Yes I did a search but I didn't come up with exactly what I'm looking for, so...

I want to try something at practice with the band with some amp sim stuff.

My question is, how do I get the sound out of the daw, can i connect a cab to one of the interface outputs? Running into the PA is not an option since the PA is just enough for the singer. Just don't want to break shit when I'm trying some dumb shit out for shits an giggles.

Thanks.

If you want to run out a cab, why not just use a real amp? You'll get a much better and more workable tone.

In any case, I use amp sims for band practice for the sake of being quiet. Everyone wears headphones, and the drummer uses an electric kit. Loudest thing is the vocals.
Also pretty cool this way because I've given our practice setup a low latency mix, so we can monitor with a mix, record ourselves, then play it back to hear where we need to tighten up.

Yeah you'll need a power amp of some kind to power the speakers in the cab. I've done this with the Lecto in a peavey classic 50/50 had into a Carvin cab, sounded pretty much just like any old POD tone ran through it but I didn't have much time to tweak it during a rehearsal so i may have gotten it better with time to tweak. Keep the laptop on some thick foam and away from the cab for sure though.

Thanks for all the input guys
Absolutely agree with using a real amp, which I am I just have a spare cab laying around and me any other guitar player in the band wanted to mess around with some and some amp sim stuff.
I figured I was going to need a power amp unfortunately I don't have a spare one laying around.

Thanks