Amp sim noise problem(clip inside)

viralz

Feb 15, 2010
Montreal, QC
I have some noise problems whith amp sims even with noise gate activated.I have tried the following to fix it :

-Noise gate before and after amp sim
-Tried 3 different audio interfaces
-tried 4 different DAW
-Change guitars
-change cables
-closed computer monitor,tv, radio etc..

Usually the noise should go away while I am playing(like a real amp) but it does the opposite, the noise is on top of my playing witch is unacceptable if I want a clean mix.

here is a short clip to demonstrate this issue.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10337799/noise.wav

please help me you amp sim gurus!

I forgot to mention that this noise does not appear when I use an external guitar preamp (rockmaster, rocktron mAXE, POD etc...

Try uploading some DI's or something and then list your amp sims/impulse used along with your all of your settings. I'm wondering if my set-up would reproduce the same issue, because I'm guessing it's an interference issue... could be your ac power in your house, maybe you live near power plant, the wifi in your area.. hell it could even be the lightbulbs.

Fot this clip I used:

-Agile interceptor with blackouts
-M-audio fastrack USB
-TSE 808
-Lepou Le456 with catharsis impulses
-Reagate

I also tried a firewire interface(saffire pro) but the result is the same. I really like the tone I'm getting from those free sims, now if only i could get that damn noise to go away!!

thanks

Post a DI.
Hmm if you tried all that equipment, then it may be the real first thing in your signal chain:
You will not like it, but the noise problem may come from "dirty" AC power in your house...
So getting a good (pricey) power conditioner with a true sine wave output, or moving to a different house may be the only 2 options to get rid of it completely...

Shit man, thats a good chain you have there... though the Reagate should be before the 808 because it doesn't seem to be closing at all. DI's when you get a chance.

Also, food for thought.. but is it possible you are tracking your DI's too hot? Since you didn't say you're using a DI Box, I suppose that could be something to look out for, unless you've already messed with your audio interfaces input volume. I've never tracked a DI straight into the audio interface, so I'm not sure what other issues you could be looking at with possible impedance issues maybe.

Do you run a laptop? If so, try unplugging it from your house's AC power when you record.

PLEASE MOVE AWAY FROM THE TV OR COMPUTER SCREEN! REPEAT MOVE AWAY FROM THE TV OR COMPUTER SCREEN!

Cyril_v, you pointed me in the right direction man! But its not that I was tracking my DI too hot, I was tracking them too LOW. All I did is use my rocktron preamp to boost my guitar signal and then removed the 808.Of course its not 100% quiet, but I think the noise level is acceptable now. I feel so dumb for not trying this sooner:loco:

I'm happy I didn't have to buy a new house to fix this.

thanks guys

Fot this clip I used:

-Agile interceptor with blackouts
-M-audio fastrack USB
-TSE 808
-Lepou Le456 with catharsis impulses
-Reagate

thanks

I don't know if this is indicating that your signal chain is TSE 808 -> LE456 -> REAGate, but if it is, try using REAGate -> TSE808 -> LE456 -> Impulse and see if that works out better.

If all else fails, manually edit out the parts where you are not playing and ditch the gate all together. I do this often as I get annoyed with using gates for guitars and find it easier to do some hand editing.

Why you record at 48kHz?
Impulse you use is only 44.1k, keFIR don`t have resampling abilities (as I know), sound like shit in this case.
But anyway, noise is OK with TSE808 and LeCto.
Try to record at 44.1 and 24 bits or just convert DI to 44.1 and listen with the same preset.

It`s funny, SoloC->Le456=instant shit (with such settings, too much gain and highs before Le456) :)
Why not use just TSE808 or TS-999, for example, instead of SoloC?

i had the same problem with amplitude awhile ago. i just went in and hand edited the hiss out to the best of my ability. i did the same thing to fix it on my newer mixes.