Saffire 6 USB 1.1 white noise - ARRGGGHHH!!

DaveBlack

Apr 7, 2009
this is driving me up a freaking wall!! if anyone has suggestions, it would be so greatly appreciated. I don't wanna bore you guys with a bunch of rambling so i'll condense it down to what I know. I've tried some of the other threads but haven't come up with anything significant from them.

the problem, more specifically:
- I get a steady hiss of white noise from the inputs which isn't obvious until the preamp is around max, of course. But even with the gain on absolute minimum, If I drop an amp sim on a DI track (doesn't matter which sim) it amplifies it. So it's definitely there and noising up my tracks.

What I know:
-Its definitely coming from the preamp input. I know this because it's always there. The saffire has a mix dial and when you pan it to the input side, the noise comes through the monitors. No DAW, no amp sims necessary. Nothing plugged into the unit. So that accounts for any DAW, plugin or instrument inducing the noise.

things I've attempted:
- All drivers for my computer mobo, processor and saffire asio drivers are 100% up to date. Just got the newest ones from February 2012 from focusrites website. Switching drivers in the DAW preferences does nothing either. The noise is there no matter what driver I use.

- Tried different USB ports and even bought a new 2 port PCI card to account for any faulty connections to the mobo.

- turned off USB power management options (native instruments site said that may cause a steady white noise from an input - I know, not focusrite, but it was worth a shot)

- sent it to the focusrite service center. They sent it back saying they couldn't replicate it because on max, the noise only registered at 89db(maybe vu I forget) the main point is it was in it's normal noise range. So it's coming from my system.

Again, if there's any windows settings or sheilding issues (although that's more of electrical hum ground loops thing) you may think of, i'm very open to hearing it. Thanks a lot guys. Hopefully I can figure this out without having to buy a new unit.