Engl Savage Review

Wizard of Ozz

¤Arch Mage of Metal¤
Feb 14, 2004
The Gates of Hell
Got a brand-new Engl Savage 120 a few days ago. I know there are a few Savage owners and fans here, so I thought I'd share my thoughts: It’s a very tight, bright, somewhat compressed amp, with a definite Marshall 2203 edge and bite to the tone. It’s billed as a 4 channel amp, but it is more accurately a 2 channel, 4 mode amp. My first exposure to this amp was via Hammerfall who used the Savage 120 on many albums (Legacy of Kings is a great example of the Savage 120’s tone). It has a good amount of bass and chunk on tap (channel 4) for the chugga, chugga stuff, but it always stays tight, focus, and mud free. Just to give a brief rundown of the channels:

1. The clean channel (channel 1) is a warmer, thicker slightly darker clean sound than you might expect. The bright switch and preshape (mid boost/mid cut) buttons help brighten up your tone, but it’s not a bright, chimey Fender Blackface clean by any stretch. The clean channel actually sounds pretty nice with a slight mid-scoop.

2. The crunch 1 channel (channel 2) is pretty much your average light blues breakup to AC/DC. Not much to see here. Good and useable.

3. The crunch 2 channel (channel 3) basically sounds very, very similar to a stock Marshall 2203 just a little darker. As you start to crank the gain your into modified territory or the equivalent of running a boost in thru the front. EVH to early Lynch are good examples of this channel’s capabilities. Plenty of bite here.

4. The lead channel (channel 4) is basically the reason why the majority of people buy this amp. Definitely more gain than most will need, tight, focused, articulate, with a good amount of bass and lowend… but not supersaturated or muddy like a Mesa Recto or Bogner Uberschall for comparison. The amount and type of bass are very similar to the VHT/Fryette UltraLead. This is a high-mid voiced amp. The Savage 120 also has a very fast, super quick attack very much like that of the UL. You play a note, you hear it… your play a fast, heavy, downtuned rhythm passage… you hear every note. Notes don’t run together and you can hear each and every one. There’s plenty of gain here, and all the gain is useable all the way up to 10. It does have more than enough preamp gain to get most any job done, so don’t worry. There is a lead gain boost button (channel 3/4), which I pretty much leave on all the time. It’s not the most saturated high gain amp around by today’s standards, but this is also why it’s so tight and focused. Noise is very, very low. I bought an ISP Decimator just incase I’d need it, but I haven’t even taken it out of the box yet. It’s definitely one of the more quiet high gain amps around. It’s very similar to a super hot-rodded Marshall JMP/JCM800 2203. Bright, musical, edgy and it cuts great. Plenty of mids, but sounds fine with a slight scoop as well. I can see why a lot of the death metal guys like this amp. Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Behemoth, Arch Enemy, InFlames, and similar tones can be had from this channel with ease.

A couple of the extra features like the deep mode sound great. The deep switch adds a good amount of bass and lowend, but still no mud or mush even with it on. The contour switch is also pretty handy and acts as a low mid boost (off) or high mid boost (on). There is one for each main channel. There is a whole bunch more this amp can do, but I've only had it for a few days.

A couple of negatives: I hate the rough/smooth switch. I greatly prefer the amp in rough mode. I had the same experience with the Powerball. Smooth mode acts like a mega-compressor although it is described as a mid-boost for leads. It compresses and squashes your tone to ass IMHO. Also I wish it were midi capable. Yeah, you can buy a midi converter box, but build in midi in/out jacks would be cool.

Some pics:

Savage21.jpg

Savage22.jpg

Savage23.jpg

shamwow2.jpg

:devil:

G
4. The lead channel (channel 4) is basically the reason why the majority of people buy this amp. Definitely more gain than most will need, tight, focused, articulate, with a good amount of bass and lowend… but not supersaturated or muddy like a Mesa Recto or Bogner Uberschall for comparison. The amount and type of bass are very similar to the VHT/Fryette UltraLead. This is a high-mid voiced amp. The Savage 120 also has a very fast, super quick attack very much like that of the UL. You play a note, you hear it… your play a fast, heavy, downtuned rhythm passage… you hear every note. Notes don’t run together and you can hear each and every one. There’s plenty of gain here, and all the gain is useable all the way up to 10. It does have more than enough preamp gain to get most any job done, so don’t worry. There is a lead gain boost button (channel 3/4), which I pretty much leave on all the time. It’s not the most saturated high gain amp around by today’s standards, but this is also why it’s so tight and focused. Noise is very, very low. I bought an ISP Decimator just incase I’d need it, but I haven’t even taken it out of the box yet. It’s definitely one of the more quiet high gain amps around. It’s very similar to a super hot-rodded Marshall JMP/JCM800 2203. Bright, musical, edgy and it cuts great. Plenty of mids, but sounds fine with a slight scoop as well. I can see why a lot of the death metal guys like this amp. Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Behemoth, Arch Enemy, InFlames, and similar tones can be had from this channel with ease.

Hey, thanks for the review...
BUT...I must admit that I think (personal opinion) your comparisons with other amps are VERY incorrect..The Engl IS a very tight amp, but the tightness and feel of attack and bass are COMPLETELY different from the Pittbull (I own a savage myself and the pittbul was my main live amp for years). also is the Savage more on the scooped side and the sound has NOTHING to do with a 2203..a 2203 is mid-aggressive open sounding with lots of grain and roar while the Savage is smooth, scooped and compressed sounding in comparison. also..Überschall muddy?....have you really played all the amps you're talking about?.
Especially the comparison to the VHT is VERY wrong IMO...the pit sonds COMPLETELY different.....
but other than that, as I daid, thanks for the detailed review, always good to have some of those on the forum.

Hey, thanks for the review...
BUT...I must admit that I think (personal opinion) your comparisons with other amps are VERY incorrect..The Engl IS a very tight amp, but the tightness and feel of attack and bass are COMPLETELY different from the Pittbull (I own a savage myself and the pittbul was my main live amp for years). also is the Savage more on the scooped side and the sound has NOTHING to do with a 2203..a 2203 is mid-aggressive open sounding with lots of grain and roar while the Savage is smooth, scooped and compressed sounding in comparison. also..Überschall muddy?....have you really played all the amps you're talking about?.
Especially the comparison to the VHT is VERY wrong IMO...the pit sonds COMPLETELY different.....
but other than that, as I daid, thanks for the detailed review, always good to have some of those on the forum.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then.

As for what amps I've owned, here you go:

Diezel Herbert & VHT UltraLead:

HerbVHT_3.JPG

VHT UltraLead

vht71.jpg

Bogner Uberschall (I've actually owned 4 of these: 1 original, 1 second revision and 2 revision Blue models, so I'm pretty familiar with the sound)

uber2.jpg

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the review. I'm keen on acquiring a Savage and have no means of trying one out in my country.

Would you say that its as thick sounding as a Dual Rectifier but with a real tight and quick attack? How's the fizz from the amp? There's this fizz that I hear from most of the ENGL clips that I come across.

Cheers,

Thanks for the review. I'm keen on acquiring a Savage and have no means of trying one out in my country.

Would you say that its as thick sounding as a Dual Rectifier but with a real tight and quick attack? How's the fizz from the amp? There's this fizz that I hear from most of the ENGL clips that I come across.

Cheers,

If you are looking for something with the thickness of the Dual Rectifier, but with a faster attack and tighter bass, that best describes the Diezel Herbert. Lots of bass, very thick, but much tighter and more focused than the Recto.

The Savage doesn't have as much lowend on tap, but it has a fair amount. The Savage is more compressed than the Herbert and tighter sounding still. It also has more of a old-school metal voicing, whereas the Herbert is more modern sounding.

I think the fizz you refer to is more or less due to the mic placement/recording process. There are some great youtube clips of the Savage:

These should give you a good idea of what to expect out of the box.
:Smokedev:

Last edited by a moderator:
uber2.jpg

Your mileage may vary.
ok, now I understand why you think the Über is muddy ;) (with those settings there are NO mids left anymore, but plenty of sub-bass (compared to other amps)...
but yeah, I wouldn't say the Uber is less muddy than the Savage (of course it's not) but with reasonable settings it's definitely much less muddy than a Recto or even a 6505 IMO.

how do you like the HErbert? I always wanted to try one, but the Einstein dissapointed me so much that the GAS kinda stopped....it's just started again recently.

soooooo now post some clips, would be cool to hear these beauties in action

ok, now I understand why you think the Über is muddy ;)

how do you like the HErbert? I always wanted to ry one, but the Einstein dissapointed me so much that the GAS kinda stopped....it's just started gain recently.

Don't judge by those settings ;). I have opened it more than once. :heh: I really wanted to like the Uber too, which is why I bought 4 of them.

The Herbert is a great amp. One of the best high gainers I've played. If anyone is a high gain, metal-head, they owe it to themselves to at least try one out. I'm not a big fan of the Einstein or VH4 for that matter though.

The Herbert is a great amp. One of the best high gainers I've played. If anyone is a high gain, metal-head, they owe it to themselves to at least try one out. I'm not a big fan of the Einstein or VH4 for that matter though.

damn, thats not what I wanted to hear!!!
can't you say "the Herbert sucks as much as the Einstein" so I DONT have to buy one!!??:)

would love to hear some clips

damn, thats not what I wanted to hear!!!
can't you say "the Herbert sucks as much as the Einstein" so I DONT have to buy one!!??:)

would love to hear some clips

I'd actually love to make some clips. :) Thing is I don't even own a digital video camera. :lol: Everytime I save up some cash for a digital recorder, I wind up spending it on another pedal or something else. I actually need to buy a new camera as you can see from my pics. My camera is around 5 years old.:lol:

fuck the camera mic anyways! ;)
throw an sm57 in front of the cab....that's what we love over here :D

but I understand you about that camera---I'm still taking pics with my 6 years old cellphone....just can't be arsed to shell out that much (even 80bucks) für a cam....rather another Tubescreamer or sm57 instead :)

What sort of digital recorder would be good? Something say for $500 USD or less?

get a free or cheap DAW with a decent converter/micpre....

mbox2 for example, it comes with Pro Tools and should be around 300$...then spend another 100 on the sm57 (don't buy those used, there are many fake ones out there).
than you have decent recording possibilities for about 400$.

get a freaa or cheao DAW with a decent converter/micpre....

mbox2 for example, it comes with Pro Tools and should be around 300$...then spend another 100 on the sm57 (don't buy those used, there are many fake ones out there).
than you have decent recording possibilities for about 400$.

Thanks. That sounds cool. I'm not too familiar with recording though, so the mic goes into the mbox, then the mbox connects to my pc via usb cable?

Thanks. That sounds cool. I'm not too familiar with recording though, so the mic goes into the mbox, then the mbox connects to my pc via usb cable?

yep, mic into mbox, which connects via USB (or firewire?) to the computer.
in the software you create a new track (shift+ctrl+N I think it's on a PC)...
there are inputs and outputs you can assign for this track...just click in there and assign whatever input you plugged the mic into (for example "Analog1")...the manual Pro Tools comes with is pretty cool though..you won't have any problems.

search this forum for micing tricks, there's tons to be learned.....and it's much easier than you'd think..essentially just throw the 57 straight dead center in front of the v30 that sounds best (they all sound different, even in the same box) and then move it about 1-2cm to the side, that usually gives usable results already.
this forum is actually perfect to learn stuff like that, if you post your results in the "rate my mix" section (or "equipment" or even "production tips", depending on what you want to show with the clips) people will gladly listen to them and give tips and pointers on mic placement etc...