NAD: Engl Content

The SE 6L6 will sound more scooped in the mids, with more emphasis on the high and low end. Possibly better for max chugga-chugga rhythm. The SE EL34 has a very aggressive, bold, and biting mid-range voicing to it. Like a super modified Marshall. Both amps have the same preamp, just different power sections... and the EL34 model has a switch inside to use 6L6GC power tubes, if you wish. You really can't use EL34s in the 6L6 model for long periods, due to the different screen resistors and the different output transformer.

I think both are great sounding amps and it's just more about personal taste. Both the EL34 and 6L6 models are ultra heavy and brootal. Channel 4 with the depth boost on, is about as heavy as a guitar amp gets in my book.
:cool:

Thanks, that helped me in making my decision! One more thing, if I use a maxon 808.. would that even push it further into maximum death machine? :headbang: and how does the internal noise gate deal with noise or getting a g-string isp decimator would work better?

Thanks, that helped me in making my decision! One more thing, if I use a maxon 808.. would that even push it further into maximum death machine? :headbang: and how does the internal noise gate deal with noise or getting a g-string isp decimator would work better?

The SE is one of the few high-gain amps that doesn't really benefit from a boost or od pedal. I'm a gain monster myself, but on the SE I have the gain knobs for channel 3 & 4 set to 12:00, and it crushes. More than anyone would need for anything... even the blackest of black metal. :lol:

The Engl SE voicing is already super-saurated, tight, and pretty gained out to begin with, so adding a boost doesn't do what it would say with a Mesa Dual Recto for example. You might want to experiment, but I like it w/o a pedal much better.

Noise gate works great... but I have mine turned off, as I like it better that way. Engls really aren't noisy amps as compared to a Peavey 5150/6505 or Bogner Uberschall for example. If you do need a gate, go with the ISP Decimator. I do have one, and use it on other amps. It works great.