Worchester show review

Ha, I'm not that closed minded when it comes to metal (otherwise I wouldn't listen to Dimmu Borgir, Pantera, and Meshuggah amungst my Blind Guardian and Symphony X CDs).

Bottom line is: I DONT LIKE SHITTY IN FLAMES RIP OFF BANDS and thats exactly what Beyond the Embrace sounded like *to me*. I don't care if you like them. I also didn't like the fact that they refused to get off the stage. Perhaps Seven Witches or SyX, you know, the MAIN BANDS of the night would have gotten to play one more song.

markgugs said:
Well, that's your OPINION and occasional fact. For the record, BTE's vocalist barely uses 'cookie monster vocals' - in fact, he almost always sounds closest to mid-80s Hetfield, with the occasional In Flames or Dark Tranquillity scream or growl thrown in.

I was there saturday night and the dude used GROWLING COOKIE MONSTER VOCALS over, and over, and over again. Are you telling me I was hallucinating?? Well if I was so was about 20 other people who were around me saying the same things I was. Once in a blue moon he'd sing a raspy thrasy type way but the majority was that growling shit.

BTW I am not a biased fan of music, it just happens to be that like you said "in my opinion" I think there is no talent in growl/cookie monster vocals. I can do it w/o even putting effort into it. I also find it silly as whats the point to having a vocalist if ya cant understand a fuckin word he sings.

Back to my open minded music thinking. I happen to like some Jazz, and oldies believe it or not. I'm just more oriented towards, hard rock, and melodic metal of all genres.

Hey, like I said, you're entitled to like it or not like it. That's your right.

I don't think you know the first thing about extreme vocals though. Which is more than evidenced by this contradictory, incorrect and biased statement.

DrumRman said:
BTW I am not a biased fan of music, it just happens to be that like you said "in my opinion" I think there is no talent in growl/cookie monster vocals. I can do it w/o even putting effort into it. I also find it silly as whats the point to having a vocalist if ya cant understand a fuckin word he sings.

markgugs said:
This entire thread falls right smack into supporting my theory about the close-mindedness of metal fans, even amongst OTHER FORMS OF METAL.

And again, spreading fallacies and inaccuracies only serve to hurt the entire metal community (i.e. perhaps some more open-minded people who are willing to listen to some other forms of metal music). BEYOND THE EMBRACE are ALSO signed to Metal Blade Records, and had a critically-acclaimed debut CD as well. They've toured/played with Opeth, Blind Guardian, Kataklysm, Shadows Fall, Pungent Stench, Incantation and many more bands. They're FAR from a "local band." :rolleyes:

Thankfully, the promoters/bookers/labels/artists themselves are nowhere near as closed-minded as many of their fans, or metal would be in serious trouble.

Btw I PAID MONEY to see Seven Witches and Symphony X. THAT WAS THE ADVERTISED SHOW. That embrace band were dicks, and cut into the main bands I PAID to see's time!! I dont give a shit who they are signed with, they sucked. We got freakin jipped big time. I paid to see 7 witches and SX, and I got a short SX song, and only 5 Seven witches songs because those pecker heads wouldnt get off the stage.

BTW not being close minded... the fact is DEATH VOCALS ANNOY THE FUCK OUT OF ME! I wanna enjoy music not get a fuckin migraine while the singer screams and spits and vomits into his mic all night.

Your argument is silly. Are you telling me you like EVERY GENRE OF MUSIC IN THE WORLD? If you dont, should I call you close mined? If you dont like every food in the world are you closed minded? Dont be a hypocrite.

Your philosophy isnt a wise one. Sometimes you can not like something just for the sake of not likeing it, not because we are close minded.

markgugs said:
I don't think you know the first thing about extreme vocals though. Which is more than evidenced by this contradictory, incorrect and biased statement.

I have heard bands such as Obituary, Deicide, Believer, Mayhem, Napalm Death, Morbid angel, Cannibal Corpse, and on and on and on. I have been involved in the metal world for 16 years.

Let me guess none of those bands have extreme vocals right?

How many times you wanna be wrong tonight? Your striking out fast here.

What's wrong with being close-minded about music? You either like something or you don't. Most people can't tolerate "extreme" vocals.

DrumRman said:
I have heard bands such as Obituary, Deicide, Believer, Mayhem, Napalm Death, Morbid angel, Cannibal Corpse, and on and on and on. I have been involved in the metal world for 16 years.

Congratulations. Considering that any fool with an internet connection and a basic understanding of how to use google can look up any band and their history. So tell me, what was it about those above-mentioned bands vocal deliveries that you didn't like? You know, something besides "it takes no talent" and "it sucks." Were there any particular songs you listened to and decided you didn't like?

Let me guess none of those bands have extreme vocals right?

No, they all do. This is the first fact you've stated thus far in your argument. As for your earlier statement, at least you finally gave me some insight as to why you don't like extreme vocals, because "the fact is DEATH VOCALS ANNOY THE FUCK OUT OF ME! I wanna enjoy music not get a fuckin migraine while the singer screams and spits and vomits into his mic all night." While of course this is an opinion, at least you've told us why you think the way you do. Thanks.

As far as my argument being "silly," well, ok. I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm sorry you think I'm the one who's "close mined." The FACT remains that if you DISMISS music based on preconceived notions or without giving it an open chance, than you are certainly close-minded. IF however, you check the music out, and it's just not your thing for whatever reason, well then hey, I have no problem with that. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you have actually heard those bands you say you've heard, and that you had an open mind, and you just didn't like 'em. That's cool, I can understand why. But as for ME being close-minded, ha ha, too funny. I *never* slag anything without having given it quite a bit of chance. And even then, I very rarely slag any band at all. Of course I haven't heard every kind of music in the world, which is why I don't comment on things I don't know what I'm talking about.

How many times you wanna be wrong tonight? Your striking out fast here.

I haven't been wrong yet, but if it makes you feel better, ok. I guess I struck out. But for the record, it's completely uncool (and makes you look pretty damned foolish) to assume as much as you do. Cheers.

markgugs said:
Congratulations. Considering that any fool with an internet connection and a basic understanding of how to use google can look up any band and their history. So tell me, what was it about those above-mentioned bands vocal deliveries that you didn't like? You know, something besides "it takes no talent" and "it sucks." Were there any particular songs you listened to and decided you didn't like?

No, they all do. This is the first fact you've stated thus far in your argument. As for your earlier statement, at least you finally gave me some insight as to why you don't like extreme vocals, because "the fact is DEATH VOCALS ANNOY THE FUCK OUT OF ME! I wanna enjoy music not get a fuckin migraine while the singer screams and spits and vomits into his mic all night." While of course this is an opinion, at least you've told us why you think the way you do. Thanks.

As far as my argument being "silly," well, ok. I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm sorry you think I'm the one who's "close mined." The FACT remains that if you DISMISS music based on preconceived notions or without giving it an open chance, than you are certainly close-minded. IF however, you check the music out, and it's just not your thing for whatever reason, well then hey, I have no problem with that. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you have actually heard those bands you say you've heard, and that you had an open mind, and you just didn't like 'em. That's cool, I can understand why. But as for ME being close-minded, ha ha, too funny. I *never* slag anything without having given it quite a bit of chance. And even then, I very rarely slag any band at all. Of course I haven't heard every kind of music in the world, which is why I don't comment on things I don't know what I'm talking about.

Well lets see, how about for starters an ex girlfriend of mine LOVED death metal. Maybe thats how I heard such lovely songs as "Slowly we rot", "Memphistopheles", "Lunatic Of Gods Creation", and so on. As I stated and you happen to ignore, Ive been involved or around the metal area for 16 years, Ive heard everything from thrash (Exodus, Testament, Death Angel, Suicidal Tendencies) to glam rock / metal (Pretty Boy Floyd, Tuff, Slaughter, Cherry st, etc) to 80s hard rock / metal (Heavens Edge, XYZ, Babylon AD, Hurricane, Spread Eagle, and so on) to the above mentioned death metal, to power metal (Edguy , Axnstar, Gamma Ray, Galloglass, etc etc etc) to Prog Metal (Zero Hour, Sun Caged, Threshold, DT, Anguish Tunnelvision , All Too human, and etc). Hell I am even a huge Guitar virtuoso fan... from way back in the Shrapnel days with Vinnie Moore (Vicious Rumors days too) , Joey Tafolla, Tony McAlpine, George Bellas, Racer X and on, and on and on.

I dont see how I am close minded for not finding growly vocals talented or enjoyable. I dunno maybe Im not normal for finding a man pukin up noises that are supposed to mean kill your mother while you fuck your sister, and worship satan, not entertaining or enjoyable to listen too. Now I know not all death metal sing about these lyrics, as I stated above Believer were actually a christian death metal.

So there you have it, and please spare the whole google internet to look up bands thing. Ive been a loyal metal head for a long time and will always be one.

BTW I love alot of drummers in death metal bands, the doublebass these guys play is amazing for some bands.... I just hate the vocals. I like melody.

Most of the time I don't like deep growls, I like higher pitched growls like the guy from At The Gates. But whether you enjoy the vocals are not is one thing, but it does take a lot of training to perform death metal vocals correctly and without ruining your throat. Just because you dont personally enjoy it doesn't mean it doesn't take any talent...

Ah...it's a shame that a concert review degenerated into an argument over death metal vocals. To briefly state my opinion on the matter, I personally rather enjoy Beyond the Embrace and All That Remains. But I'd prefer not to debate over opinions.

The point is, the show kicked ass regardless of Seven Witches and Symphony X's truncated sets. The songs that each band fit in kicked major ass and they delievered their all, and it was quite evident.

On another note, I ended up hanging out with the bassist from All That Remains for a little while after the show. Of course, while I was talking, a souped-up Honda drove by, I said something along the lines of "Gotta love those riceburners", and right as I said it, an Asian girl walked by, overheard, and nearly slapped me.

Also, I talked with Mike LePond in the pizza place next to the Palladium for a while. I was a little weirded out, because I had just found a ticket stub for a movie I never saw in my jacket pocket. There was a bit of a discussion about Symphony X doing festivals, and Wacken came up. Apparently, Symphony X doesn't have much of a fanbase in Germany? Well, my theory was that they're too progressive, and the Germans need a 4/4 time signature to chant "Hail! True! Metal!" or whatever.

And one other note...CHUCKY OWNS YOU!