Wormwood Chronicles Review

Thanks Doc!

Here is the text version:

Harmony of Lies
By Dr. Abner Mality

It's extremely hard to believe this Chicago band is not signed to a top notch label. I can't think of anything they are lacking to impress a record company that understands true metal. The packaging on "Harmony of Lies" is very good, the production is superb and most importantly, the songs really kick ass. Yeah, there are a couple of things they could work on, but with shit like One Dead Three Wounded and Index Case getting signed, how could Eden's Fall not be getting a push? It boggles the mind!

This is a hammering piece of moody metal mastery mixed by no less a mainstay than Dan Swano. Need more proof of Eden's Fall's pedigree? The record is mastered by James Murphy! The band inhabit the same grey zone between thrash and power metal that Nevermore dwell in. I'm also reminded of another fine Chicago band, Twelfth Gate. If you dig those two acts, no way should you let "Harmony of Lies" slip out of your trembling little hands.

A good balance between classiness and raging fury is maintained at all times. Lots of chunky hammer-on riffs broken up by soaring guitar solos and melodies. "Dead Thought Matrix" is the heaviest example of Eden's Fall's attack, even featuring almost death metal riffs, while "Nothingheart" uses restraint to achieve its goals. I favored the epic catchiness of "Lost Again" and the varied yet brutal "Liquid Christ" as the epitome of Eden's Fall's art.

One area where they need some work are the lead vocals of John Barr. They are not bad, but they sound pretty forced and histrionic at times, particularly on the beginning of "Nothingheart" and on some of the awkward vocal lines of "We Betray". He just doesn't sound "natural" all the time. Still, this is just a first step for the band and Barr has the tools to take it to the next level.

OK, labels, quit stalling around and sign this band. As for you, dear reader, what are you waiting for?!

(Self-produced, pick it up at www.edensfall.com)

Glad to help a local band on the way. I live in nearby Rockford so I hope to see the band in the near future...