/worse types of CD packaging

J. Golden

Heaven and Hell Records
Oct 12, 2009
here
www.heavenandhellrecords.com
I'm sure most would agree with me that the standard jewelcase is the ideal; it is is "standard is usually fits on any shelf, is uniform with most of any collection, and can easily be replaced if need be.
Sadly more and more companies are using jewelcases less due to several reasons like bitching from tree hugging hippies causing everyone to go "green", and more plants breaking down the molds that make the jewelcase, and some misguided labels just think other types of packing is cool and much more appealing.
When I started collecting CDs twenty four year ago it seemed the only CDs that were no in standard jewelcases were usually singles with B-sides and often they were imports. This almost made the digipack appealing because you were usually going to get some none album track. This would cause me to pick up many singles of The Cure, Soundgarden, C.O.C., Danzig, etc. Over time no matter how careful you are the digi gets digged. And if the hub teeth broke then you just had a broken case.
Nowadays there are so many different types of cases as you all know and most suck pretty bad. Years ago the only cases difficult to replace where digis, those DCD cases (The Doors Greatest Hits that everyone has owned at one time or another) and those single slim cases. Now there are cardboard sleeves, all types of digis, vinyl replicas, those stupid things with the foam hub, and more.
As a collector this is annoying at the very least.
Your thoughts?

Standard jewel cases for life.
Digipacks may look nicer sometimes, but you need plastic sleeves around them, and the minimum damage will make you angry because there's no way to fix them.

Also ecopacks are terrible (see Viking self-release, Behemoth Polish release for last album).

Same for vinyl replicas.

Standard jewel case all the way.

I do see why some release go with digipacks because with a jewel case we are limited to 20 page booklets. With certain digis you can go bigger in size if you need it.

I also don't mind the LP replica ones WHEN DONE RIGHT! I just got Roky Erickson reissues on Light In The Attic Records and those are heavy duty and nice. I also have several japanese ones that are really nice. Other than that I will always take a jewel case over a digipack if given the choice, even if there are bonus tracks. I used to get pulled in with that, but I have decided that most bonus tracks are never worth it.

I do see why some release go with digipacks because with a jewel case we are limited to 20 page booklets. With certain digis you can go bigger in size if you need it.

I also don't mind the LP replica ones WHEN DONE RIGHT! I just got Roky Erickson reissues on Light In The Attic Records and those are heavy duty and nice. I also have several japanese ones that are really nice. Other than that I will always take a jewel case over a digipack if given the choice, even if there are bonus tracks. I used to get pulled in with that, but I have decided that most bonus tracks are never worth it.

I have been waiting for some nice Roky re-issues.

Standard jewel cases for life.
Digipacks may look nicer sometimes, but you need plastic sleeves around them, and the minimum damage will make you angry because there's no way to fix them.

Also ecopacks are terrible (see Viking self-release, Behemoth Polish release for last album).

Same for vinyl replicas.

I see that a lot of bands who do stuff themselves go for this packaging. I believe they are encouraged to do so and places like Diskmakers gives them package deals on such packaged product.

Did you see the LP "replicas" from the Powerwolf box? Those are sturdy as hell. You still have to slide the disc into an envelope that's going to scratch it at some point.

Did you see the LP "replicas" from the Powerwolf box? Those are sturdy as hell. You still have to slide the disc into an envelope that's going to scratch it at some point.

I have not seen them, but I assume they are like the Roky Erickson ones I got recently. Super thick and heavy duty.

The Japanese ones I have they come with not only replica of original sleeve inside, but also clear plastic one to keep CD safe. Japanese know how to do it right, always.

I have not seen them, but I assume they are like the Roky Erickson ones I got recently. Super thick and heavy duty.

The Japanese ones I have they come with not only replica of original sleeve inside, but also clear plastic one to keep CD safe. Japanese know how to do it right, always.

That does sound cool. At the end of the day though, I still prefer the good old jewel case.

My jap Yes and Slayer are like that. The Mintouro Records stuff although really neat with all the posters and stuff, they are like gatefold LP replicas with paper sleaves for the disc to go into before sliding into the jacket. But they are not a glossy paper like with a lot of records, it is a basically the same as the gain of the jacket, maybe a bit thinner. Still not the best idea, but they do look good

Plus, I'm angry with slipcases.
I love double cover artworks, but I hate when the press machines are set to cover only for cases and not the cardboard around.
Result: after year in warehouses, basements, festival stands and so on, you'll have a brand new case with a heavily ruined slipcase.

Plus, I'm angry with slipcases.
I love double cover artworks, but I hate when the press machines are set to cover only for cases and not the cardboard around.
Result: after year in warehouses, basements, festival stands and so on, you'll have a brand new case with a heavily ruined slipcase.

I agree.
Another thing, which recently occurred with a Destruction Metal Mind release I was given, the overwrap bins the digipack so tightly that it does damage. I have also seen creases on the double digi like the Thin Lizzy expands

Jewel case is the best also because you can just buy some (got a 100 pieces box at home for various formats) and get your cds shipped without cases from countries that would ask much for shipping (not only USA or Canada, but also Spain or Italy itself). I've saved a lot of money for last year orders this way.