1. Powerslave
2. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
3. Number of the Beast
4. Piece of Mind
5. Iron Maiden
6. Killers
7. Somewhere in Time

...and I really like Somewhere in Time.

Precisely. Which is why I asked cthulufhtagn to name any of the other "classic seven" albums that he'd rank lower than SiT. And I really like SiT as well. The chorus of "Wasted Years" alone has gotten stuck in my head for days on a ton of different occasions (and in a good way).

JK said:
Putting that ranking in perspective, consider that Powerslave is one of the greatest metal albums of ALL TIME.

Take out "Back in the Village" and "Losfer Words" and you will not get an argument from me. Those two songs just fall far short IMO. Every other song = ACE. Very hard to choose between the four best (per my list above), but I'll still go with PoM and NotB when push comes to shove.

But to put it in perspective, that's like saying I'd rather have $1,000,077 in cash than $1,000,000 in cash. You still hit the lottery no matter what.

Jason

Never had a problem with "Losfer Words" though.

Ok, I guess it doesn't make me cringe the way "Back in the Village" does, but if you're going to include an instrumental (at least a long one anyway) when the vocals are such an important part of the sound you're reknowned for (and during your peak heyday), at least make the instrumental dynamic and memorable (like "Orion" from "Master of Puppets"). It just sounds like filler background to me, and while I don't have a huge problem with it per se, in terms of the flow of the album it stops it cold after getting off to such a rousing start. Fortunately, "Flash of the Blade" gets things back on track in a big way.

:tickled: Amazing. "Back in the Village" is probably one of my favorite tracks on Powerslave. That intro riff is like the riff of all riffs on that album.

The 3-punch "Flash of the Blade", "Duellists", and "Back in the Village" keeps the interest buoyant on that album (longevity) only because most of the other tracks have been hammered to death on live albums and shows.

For me, every track on Powerslave = 10/10, and I'm not sure I can say that about the other Maiden albums which is why it takes the #1 spot. All the other albums are like 9.8, 9.6, 9.2, etc...with SiT sitting at around a 9.0. :loco:

at least make the instrumental dynamic and memorable

wow, total disagreement again! :loco: Seriously, the galloping rhythm on that song is second-to-none and then the last half where it changes completely to that neo-classical theme....total brilliance! I cannot believe the things Steve Harris can write on a bass. So much better than "Transylvania" and "Genghis Khan" (and those two rule too!).