WOW Check this band out - Section A

Soul of Ice

Rusted Angel
Jul 29, 2002
Yonkers
Visit site
I am totally in awe of this band. I heard one sample of a song of theirs and was like this is cool, but I would like to make a more informed purchase rather than a blind one.

Well after being hooked up...infinite thanks btw...I am totally stunned at this band, which I just thought would be another musician get together and jam with a total wankerfest. Boy was I wrong. Well maybe not about the wankerfest but about the belief it would be another color by the numbers release.

Well once I heard this the first thing I thought is that...Hey this singer sounds awfully familiar...so I go through my cd book to see where I know him from. Then it hit me! Twilight! Not Beyond Twilight, this is before Jorn sung. The band put out two cds the first one was "the edge (if memory serves right)" and "Eye for an Eye". I have Eye for an Eye btw and its killer. Anyway...Andy Engberg has grown gotten better, which is a major accomplishment because he was very good in Twilight.

I did some research on them and heres what I came up with. The drummer is from Vanden Plas (a band I dont care for too much particularly but he is quite good here). Derek Sherinian (PLANET X) and Günter Werno (VANDEN PLAS) both contributed keys to this album. And the man who put this all together, Danish guitarist Torben Enevoldsen.

Well here are my takes on all the aspects of the band.

Vocals/lyrics - Sung very very very well and the lyrics are quite interesting. Range is mostly mid to upper which sounds very good. The opening scream on the album makes you wonder what happened to his nuts that allow him to hit such a note.

Guitar - the main driving force behind the album. Riffs are excellent solos are obnoxious in the showing skill. I was truly afraid this would be be something that would just leave me cold, but the playing has a very warm feeling that leaves me just impressed. The guitar tone reminds me of Jeff Loomis' from Nevermore, but not quite as heavy.

Keys - never been a huge fan of keys, but once in a while I dont mind too much. They definitely sound like they were written for a guitar, but i guess it just adds another aspect to the depth of the sound.

Drums - nothing too spectacular but function very well.

Bass - I have a hard time hearing it, partly cause im not really geared toward the instrument unless its doing its own thing.

Length - over 50 minutes (57 minutes 23 seconds to be exact) which is the perfect length for a cd imo.

This cd ranks up there with best cds of the year. I give this my highest recommendation!

I am pretty sure www.lasercd.com has it. So does www.guitar9.com (they have samples)

No offense but I listened to all the clips and wasn't as blown away as you guys.I didn't like Deerek's keyboard work with Dream THeater, the guy has a wierd approach and uses really jarring tones.

One of the tracks ha vocals and I thought tht one sounded pretty good.The guitar playing on these tracks isn't anything that most guitar players can do these days.NOt that it's bad but Torben's playing isn't on the level of the big guns like Romeo,Malmsteen,Petrucci,etc.

What is Torben's other work like?