WTT: Modded 5150 for JVM410, API, Roland E Drums

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
5150%20II%20Modded.jpg

Mod work to the amp include:

The clean channel is COMPLETELY usable- a NOS Phillips tube will be included as well which can be used in the preamp socket that is dedicated to the clean/crunch channel if you want to make it even cleaner.

The volume differential was lowered between the crunch/clean switch so that they are much closer in volume and playable live (otherwise, the volume jump is ridiculous).

The lead channel was converted to original 5150 specs (direct comparison of preamp circuitry from Peavey schematics at an authorized service center). The original 5150 preamp has more usable gain, has more low end, and less nasal mids than the 5150 II's.

The bias circuit was modified to run the tubes in the amp clearly out of crossover distortion- I believe the amp is biased to 36 mA draw per tube as of now.

There are Mercury Magnetics Axiom Power and Output transformers as well as a choke.

The last time the amp was brought in for a retube, my tech told me , "there is no need to put new tubes in this amp." I don't play live and have been using this monster for reamping only.

The only noticeable wear at all on the amplifier are a few hair-sized scratches on the front metal control plate (which are near impossible to see) and maybe a small scratch or two on the corners. The top vent is also cracked in one corner. I can include a replacement vent if that bothers you. I am COMPLETELY ANAL about keeping my gear in the best possible condition. There is no surprise damage on this amp- no tolex scuffs, no dings, cracks, malfunctions, etc. I've received enough used amps that were not to description, but this one REALLY is. I doubt you will find any 5150 II that looks better.

Power tubes will be removed for shipping.

This amp was used for guitar recording/reamping on The Empire Shall Fall's "Awaken" LP, featuring Jesse Leach (ex-Killswitch Engage). It handles low tuning with ease (8 string guitars were used on their album). You can listen to the amp here: http://www.myspace.com/theempireshallfall

If you need high quality clips, you can contact me.

I will trade for the following (must be in mint condition):

-An API preamp or Seventh Circle Audio API clones
-Marshall JVM 410H (will add cash)
-Framus Cobra
-Roland Electronic Drumset (will add cash)
-Something interesting?

Price is $1270.00 shipped US Postal Money Order or Paypal Gift.