Wulfrun Gig Monday 4th October 2004.

Blueboy111

New Metal Member
Oct 7, 2004
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Absolutely awesome evening with Biff and the guys. The band on stage for over 2 hours, and a storming set that sent me away having witnessed the best Saxon gig for me since the days of the Birmingham Odeon! Great range of songs across the Saxon discography. Introduced my teenage daughter to the delights of Saxon that night...she was so enthralled she ended up at the front. Another well deserved new fan guys! Keep on rocking.

Can't wait 'til the next time already!

First of all I wanna say HI cause I`m posting here for the first time :)

Second thing is: What about the setlist?? Could you post it?

Totall agree,Best i have seen for years missed some classic tracks though.Hope to see them in Feb.Setlist!!! Does it matter really? They did not play this time round 1)Eagle has landed 2)Solid ball of rock 3)My fav track from new cd English Man'o'War.Setlist not in order,sorry,is-
The Return,Lionheart,Never Surrender,Man&Machine,live by the sword,unleash the beast, live by the sword part 2,Living on the edge,Dogs of War,747,wheels of steel,strong arm of the law,denim&leather,crusader,backs to the wall,broken heroes, Sorry i cant remember anymore.forgot princess of the night,witchfyder genral,beyond the grave. :wave:

They did miss a few classics (Eagle, Solid Ball etc.) but the band have built such a great catalogue of songs, we are bound to be disappointed by the ommision of one song or another.
Biff obviously has identified this matter - remember, during the gig he said that the next time they tour they're going to do two sets and no support band! He then went onto mention the forum, so it was great to know that he reads what we say here and has a good think about it!
I have got to admit, I've been to a few gigs lately, but the Wolves gig was the best! Biff is a master showman, without any of the pretentious stuff that goes with it.
Favourite songs of the night for me were -
Never Surrender, Crusader, Motorcycle Man, Denim & Leather and, of course, Wheels of Steel for the audience participation!
Exxie - good to know that the hall was full. To be honest, I didn't notice as I didn't look about me once during the gig, I was too busy watching the guys! I also noticed that my joint fave track from the new album, 'English Man 'O' War' was missed out. And I was surprized to hear 'Man & Machine' and 'Flying To The Edge'.
BlueBoy111 - I also ended up at the front, and I think I was next to you. Did your daughter have a camera? I remember her getting some snaps and I moved out of the way for you both not to get seperated.
If that was you, all I can say is that you're a very cool Dad!

I Was waving a flashing light did you see that? Anyway i just wanted to see the reaction of the fans from some of the tracks.Yep i am looking forward to feb when they come back i hope!!

A funny thing that happened at the Wolverhampton gig was when Biff put on that old green mac! It was on the floor where I was standing and it was getting under my feet, and I thought that I would end up going arse over tit sooner or later if I slipped on it. So I picked it up and meant to throw it in the bit between the barriers and the stage. But it hit the bloke in front of me, and he threw it on stage. Biff saw it and thought it must be some sort of Saxon banner or something. He picked it up and looked and it but there was nothing written on it. He then turned it over and still there was nothing written on it, and he looked to the crowd and gave a look that said "what the f**k is this". He then put it on and it was way to small for him! I was just pissing myself laughing!

Nice one, Paxo! You provided the comedy moment of the evening! I reckon Biff was kind of taken with it! Remember he asked 'This is a woman's coat, yeah?' and he wore it with pride!
If I can recall it was kind of a crap greeny colour or something - real Un-Rock 'n Roll!
Exxie - I'm not sure whether I was next to you or not. I can't remember the flashing light but, then again, I really didn't take much notice of things around me when the band came on.
Until the other day, I forgot the band played 'And The Band Played On' - overall, it was a good night for the 'Denim & Leather'' album.
I've got to admit, though, that I'm sure the band can make better use of the time taken up by 'Broken Heroes' or is this just me?
Nibbs was how I expected him to be - energetic. Doug was kind of 'Rolling Stones' - he just looks up and stares at you (very cool!), Quinny was very subdued - is he always like this?
By the way - Salute to Jorg. He got a big thumbs up from me on that performance. He did a fine job on the classics as well!

Yep the drummer was great. That coat thing was funnny.Someone next to me had their flag across the his drum kit. Broken heroes one of my fav tracks leave it alone!! :)

That was Bretts flag (one of Peter Day and London Boy mates) which was accross the drum kit. Brett threw it on stage during 'And The Bands Played On'.

Nightwar - Yeah it was a very crappy looking green colour! Biff did seem very taken with it didn't he?! :lol: Believe me, Paul Quinn was very much up for it that night (as he was at the Astoria also). He smiled at least twice, and even moved to the centre of the stage on the odd occasion! :lol: