www.johntuckeronline.com - review

erikro

Oct 31, 2005
Is ‘ReEvolution’ a parable for modern times?

Cythesis’ second album takes on where 2011’s ‘DeEvolution’ left off. Completing the story set in a dystopian future, the central character, taken from his tribe, brainwashed by the elite of a sprawling city-state and installed as a puppet leader is now sent out to find and enslave new recruits. He happens upon his own people, regains his own identity and leads a chilling revolt against those who rule the city-state and sets the population free. So far, so sci-fi. But the lyrics take in deep digs at consumerism and capitalism, government control, the media, and practically anything else that can be seen to dominate people in modern times.

The band itself features three of the original members of Zero Hour – guitarist/keyboard player and bassist Jasun and Troy Tipton, and singer Erik Rosvold – alongside old friend and Enchant drummer Sean Flanagan, and as such the style of the music is almost predetermined. As might be expected of anything with Jasun Tipton’s fingerprints on it ‘ReEvolution’ is a fine flow of technical progressive metal which blends jaw-dropping, finger-shredding work-outs with deeply moving atmospheric passages. As an album ‘ReEvolution’ has no highlights as such – to my mind it’s just seven tracks, 44 minutes, of some of the best progressive metal you’re likely to come across. It’s a rollercoaster of high after high, and in terms of attractions songwriter Jasun offers the following: “There are many moments I'm extremely proud of, on ‘The Grand Façade’, ‘Persistence Of Visions’, ‘A Most Trivial Pursuit’ and ‘Release the Deity’ in particular, and I do go back and forth on ‘The Grand Façade’ and ‘Persistence…’ as both have that amazing headphone experience. But I guess ‘Release The Deity’ wins as it captures the beauty, groove and raise-your-fist-in-the-air experience at the end for me.”

Almost in fear of getting lost in the praise for the album’s instrumentation Rosvold’s Geoff Tate-like vocals (check out, for example, his work on ‘The Grand Façade’) bring another dimension to ‘ReEvolution’ and lend it the air of humanity the storyline demands. And although Rosvold was responsible for the lyrics, they certainly capture Jasun’s views both on the concept and on modern times. “It’s pretty crazy seeing what's going on in the world right now. I’m a very positive person who wants to believe change for the better is coming. Unfortunately though it’s not in sight at this moment. We can go on and on about politics as everyone has their views. Politicians say that they’re the voice of the people, but we really know they’re not. It's just about their ego and greed.”

So, is ‘ReEvolution’ a parable for modern times? Tipton has no doubt. “Oh, yes,” he replies. “It’s definitely a parable for modern times.”