X Japan Announces Headline Show in New York

Anyone who says the song below isn't good does not like music.

One of the greatest metal songs ever written. Period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCTNYs55Us

Yes, it's 30 minutes long. Yes, it's worth it. The piano part in the middle is absolutely beautiful.

PS. They sold out a 55,000 capacity venue (Tokyo Dome) 15 times in the last 20 years or so and sold more than 20 million records. Zod can suck it. :lol:

Lol this. Could also add Rose of Pain as another one of their progressive songs. But Art of Life is actually rated the best song ever by some music critic sites. I know there are others in this forum who would agree. They outsell the biggest acts Kiss, Rolling Stones, Beatles etc combined in Japan, if not in other places in Asia at large. They've also done many different styles ranging from punk to Jrock (as one of it's forefathers, creating a new genre called Visual Kei), folk, glam, hard rock, french experimental, industrial, melodic, power metal, progressive metal etc.

Is this true? Wiki says that "Jealousy" is their best selling album and places it at "more than one million copies". Seems very hard to believe.

Trying to find the several articles I posted when they first played here in the US, saying they were bigger than the Rolling Stones, Kiss, Bruce Springsteen and the Beatles combined. If I recall one was from the Examiner, others ah here it is, well one of them on ABC World Wide News : http://youtu.be/O385lQLY94Y. Think it was tallying not just CD sales but touring, shows and merchandise sales. Yoshiki has his own credit card, clothing line, comic book he did with Stan Lee etc as well.

Is this true? Wiki says that "Jealousy" is their best selling album and places it at "more than one million copies". Seems very hard to believe.

I own it and I don't live in Japan.

How is it hard to believe that a band in another country could be chart toppers and sell a million albums?

They were pioneers in metal in Japan in the late 80's. "Vanishing Vision" is amazing and their follow-up "Jealousy" was released in 1991. So hard rock bands in the US were selling MILLIONS of albums at that time, so why not them?

from wiki
The album was released on July 1, 1991, and debuted at number one, selling over 600,000 copies. first week sales were already 60% of the way to 1 million. Doubt it slowed down after that.

I own it and I don't live in Japan.

How is it hard to believe that a band in another country could be chart toppers and sell a million albums?

They were pioneers in metal in Japan in the late 80's. "Vanishing Vision" is amazing and their follow-up "Jealousy" was released in 1991. So hard rock bands in the US were selling MILLIONS of albums at that time, so why not them?

from wiki
The album was released on July 1, 1991, and debuted at number one, selling over 600,000 copies. first week sales were already 60% of the way to 1 million. Doubt it slowed down after that.

What's hard to believe is that a band whose best selling album is just over a million is bigger than the Beatles or Stones...

Trying to find the several articles I posted when they first played here in the US, saying they were bigger than the Rolling Stones, Kiss, Bruce Springsteen and the Beatles combined. If I recall one was from the Examiner, others ah here it is, well one of them on ABC World Wide News : http://youtu.be/O385lQLY94Y. Think it was tallying not just CD sales but touring, shows and merchandise sales. Yoshiki has his own credit card, clothing line, comic book he did with Stan Lee etc as well.

Man that's nuts. Cool how even though everything is still so connected now you can have these cultural icons be HUGE in countries and totally I know everywhere else.

According to ticketmaster, tickets go on sale tomorrow morning at 10. Any chance they will last for a few hours so I can deposit money in the bank to buy one, or will it sell out fast?

Man that's nuts. Cool how even though everything is still so connected now you can have these cultural icons be HUGE in countries and totally I know everywhere else.

Ikr? They played Lollapollooza when they first came to the US, and Yoshiki wrote the Golden Globes theme music a year or two ago. They've been silently progressing. Now if he could ever finish the album sometime this century and or also get Violet UK going ever (through which he did the Saint Seiya 3D anime song) and line up a tour with that at very least with X-Japan, that should do it.

According to ticketmaster, tickets go on sale tomorrow morning at 10. Any chance they will last for a few hours so I can deposit money in the bank to buy one, or will it sell out fast?

Not sure how it'll sell, but if he's not lazy and promotes it, the floor will sell out, likely the whole thing soon, but this is the first time they're doing a stadium. With the number of fans that are devoted I'm guessing it'll sell out relatively fast.

It was announced today that PATA and HEATH of X Japan would be supporting Yoshiki for his concert at Otakon week after next.

Oh nice! Man I want to go so bad! Babymetal got the best exposure and sealed their future in the US via their tour with Lady Gaga, but these guys deserve that more than any other Japanese band.

Ytsejammer and myself will be there, floor/Gen Admission.

Fucking A!!!!

Nice. Crap, wasn't anticipating the tickets at $50-$80, need to save up, hope they'll still be available by then:(

It doesn't look like they're quite as popular as some have made them out to be. Not only are they not more popular than those artists combined, it doesn't appear they're as popular as those artists individually. X Japan have two albums which each broke the million mark. The Beatles recent greatest hits album alone sold over two million copies in Japan. Milt mentioned X Japan has sold out the Tokyo Dome 15 times. That's roughly half as many times as the Stones, who've done so 28 times. Hell, Bon Jovi has done so 19 times (apparently it's pretty easy to do). Based on this empirical evidence, I think we can safely conclude: Primordial >>> X Japan.

It doesn't look like they're quite as popular as some have made them out to be. Not only are they not more popular than those artists combined, it doesn't appear they're as popular as those artists individually. X Japan have two albums which each broke the million mark. The Beatles recent greatest hits album alone sold over two million copies in Japan. Milt mentioned X Japan has sold out the Tokyo Dome 15 times. That's roughly half as many times as the Stones, who've done so 28 times. Hell, Bon Jovi has done so 19 times (apparently it's pretty easy to do). Based on this empirical evidence, I think we can safely conclude: Primordial >>> X Japan.

Primordial? Bon Jovi? Well, you give New Jersey a bad name General Zod, so what do you know? Da duh cshhh. Seriously though, while Bon Jovi and the Rolling Stones have a credit card, The Beatles didn't to my knowledge, it's 4 albums not 2, also it's not factoring the revenue of Yoshikitty, the comic book, the movie credit scores (X, Saw I.V., Saint Seiya, Tezuka Osamu no Buddha: Akai Sabaku Yo! Utsukushiku etc), his Sirius XM radio show (Howard Stern yelling about Yoshiki http://youtu.be/aZtzTCKIKz0), an updated record of album sales, all touring totals, all album/CD/DVD sales, merchandise etc.

Primordial? Bon Jovi? Well, you give New Jersey a bad name General Zod, so what do you know? Da duh cshhh. Seriously though, while Bon Jovi and the Rolling Stones have a credit card, The Beatles didn't to my knowledge, it's 4 albums not 2, also it's not factoring the revenue of Yoshikitty, the comic book, the movie credit scores (X, Saw I.V., Saint Seiya, Tezuka Osamu no Buddha: Akai Sabaku Yo! Utsukushiku etc), his Sirius XM radio show (Howard Stern yelling about Yoshiki http://youtu.be/aZtzTCKIKz0), an updated record of album sales, all touring totals, all album/CD/DVD sales, merchandise etc.
Mostly, I was just busting balls. I have no doubt they're wildly popular in Japan.

I got my tickets for the section 107. I decided to go for an elevated seat vs. the general admission floor.

I saw them when they came to NY last time and it was the most uncomfortable I've ever been at a concert in terms of getting pushed around, people jammed packed against you, and just chaos when they were playing and trying to see.

Just didn't want to deal with that again so decided to go for the safer option.

Yoshiki said the ground floor sold out in an hour. Honestly didn't expect it to be that quick, but from reading online it seems there's big groups coming from overseas (ie. Japan)

Honestly I still won't believe it will happen until the show goes off (how many times have we been promised the new album being released 'this year'?). Yoshiki has always wanted to play MSG and he promised this once before when it was cancelled (before US tour last time). While tickets are being sold and that's a good sign, you still have to wonder if they have enough draw to fill MSG. I thought I saw how even Yoshiki's Classical tour was having trouble selling out some dates and that was nowhere near this size...

Still hope it works out! :headbang:

I got my tickets for the section 107. I decided to go for an elevated seat vs. the general admission floor.

I saw them when they came to NY last time and it was the most uncomfortable I've ever been at a concert in terms of getting pushed around, people jammed packed against you, and just chaos when they were playing and trying to see.

Just didn't want to deal with that again so decided to go for the safer option.

Yoshiki said the ground floor sold out in an hour. Honestly didn't expect it to be that quick, but from reading online it seems there's big groups coming from overseas (ie. Japan)

Honestly I still won't believe it will happen until the show goes off (how many times have we been promised the new album being released 'this year'?). Yoshiki has always wanted to play MSG and he promised this once before when it was cancelled (before US tour last time). While tickets are being sold and that's a good sign, you still have to wonder if they have enough draw to fill MSG. I thought I saw how even Yoshiki's Classical tour was having trouble selling out some dates and that was nowhere near this size...

Still hope it works out! :headbang:

I was there, was an awesome show but yea it was crazy tight and cramped. One of the worst I've ever seen as well. I tried to go to the front of the stage but it was not happening. Smart thinking.

Exactly I remember that getting cancelled, was really disappointed. Really. Hmm. His classical song went to number one on iTunes too. Hard to know the truth on the financials and popularity. From friends I've had who knew his neighbors/friends, they said when he was living here, for a while he's struggled badly to maintain appearances that he was rich. Think what happens is when the money gets too little it pushes him to write more, do more recordings, do movie scores, tours etc. Otherwise his perfectionism and or procrastination takes over.

Sold out that quick? It's good they're having many overseas people come, for the Japanese songs it'll be good to have them sing those lyrics. Don't care for their english versions they were doing at Lollapalooza. Wtf.. I'm trying to do a search for tickets and it says We were unable to process your request. Try again later... :( Would you happen to know if that's something that just relates to some sort of site maintenance issue or do you or anyone else know if that's because they're all sold out? I'd guess it would say sold out but no tickets come up now :( Glad you got your tickets at least.