X-Mas Song: JCM800, Brass, Real drums etc...open mix?

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
hey lads....
for those of you who enjoyed the ska-pop-punk sample I posted yesterday comes now:

Es Weihnachtet Sehr

This also is just the first rough mix and I still have to do some balancing and automation etc....
of course all drums, brass etc are real and no samples were used (the bells are samples though)....
My goal for this mix was to have it open, 3d with lots of space and dynamics but still loud (that is often a challenge IMO)....
I wanted to achieve the feeling that when you crank your speakers you feel like your IN the mix and not in front of it.....
also should it be natural yet clean sounding...
tell me what you think

I think you've easily achieved your goal, perhaps surpassed it. This sounds mind-blowingly professional. That acoustic sounds fantastic :D
Guitars sound a little thin, but otherwise, absolutely fantastic, not a single other complaint from me.

i enjoyed the song a lot. I guess the snare could be a little bit brighter, but if the target is not to use samples then it still works. Acoustics at the beginning is crystal clear.

Wow - amazing acoustic tone dude... Great vox too - I'm diggin it.

Bobby

yeah, christmas is here!!
cool job lasse! and a cool song, hehe!

although i must admit i peronally dont like the guitars, listening to this on my opals
i can only guess what notes are being played, the high end fizz is overpowering the notes a little too hard,
to me it distracts from the whole "warm" image of the song.
but this may be up to taste, and im a tooo picky guitar player :)
- if the bands likes it that way its all cool

.I've tracked the instruments (3 trumpets, 3 trombones) seperately with a m201...I used to like sm7 on brass, but now I prefer the 201.
I'm not aiming directly into the can but slightly angled, aming at the inner side of the "funnel".....the biggest problem is to keep the players in the same position all the time.
not much post processing really...some comp and minor EQ.
It's the same players I used on the Alestorm btw

.I've tracked the instruments (3 trumpets, 3 trombones) seperately with a m201...I used to like sm7 on brass, but now I prefer the 201.
I'm not aiming directly into the can but slightly angled, aming at the inner side of the "funnel".....the biggest problem is to keep the players in the same position all the time.
not much post processing really...some comp and minor EQ.
It's the same players I used on the Alestorm btw

Cool, thanks a lot for sharing! I've found it a bit tricky to find a good balance when micing such instruments. I often end up getting way too much "airflow" in the recorded sound, so I've had to compensate it with an LDC to pick up the instruments tone. I know it's all about mic placement, but unfortunately I never had enough time to properly experiment with it :/