Xbox 360 guys, anyone have issues with HDMI cables?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
Hey guys,

So I just got my Xbox 360 elite and am TRYING to kick some ass at Modern Warfare 2, but my sound and picture keeps cutting out.

I bought this hideously overpriced cable: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...ci_sku=8993388&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218008132313

At first it didn't work at all, then some fidgeting made it work, now it will work fine, then cut out for long periods, then MAYBE come back on if I jiggle it enough.

Has anyone had a similar experience with an HDMI cable?

I'm hoping it's just the cable and not the console.

If so, does anyone know of a place to buy a QUALITY cable for the same or less of a price? I'm guessing this one is overpriced because of the stupid Xbox logo on it. It's probably the equivalent of a monster cable.

HALLLLP!

-Joe

i heard before (now dont ask me its name) that some hd tv's and monitors are lacking some sort of signal to define whether a signal is true hd and thus they dont display a hd image. it might be that, i cant remember the name of the adaptor but it was a tiny thing you plugged into the end of your hdmi which sent a signal or something to the tv to trick it into displaying the image correctly

what tv is it mind me asking?

i heard before (now dont ask me its name) that some hd tv's and monitors are lacking some sort of signal to define whether a signal is true hd and thus they dont display a hd image. it might be that, i cant remember the name of the adaptor but it was a tiny thing you plugged into the end of your hdmi which sent a signal or something to the tv to trick it into displaying the image correctly

Hey Mic,

It's this Panasonic right here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p42s1/4505-6482_7-33490462.html

Bought it brand new like two months ago! HD works fine on the TV and when it DOES work with the Xbox it looks great.

-Joe

i've looked and i can't see anyone else having problems with that tv - have you tried another hdmi cable? pick up a cheap one on ebay - thats what i use for my hdtv and my ps3. well... its a hdmi to dvi-d because my tv for some fucked up reason uses dvi-d for hdmi instead of using a hdmi port

I really love my 360, but it´s the THIRD I own. Although the Microsoft repair service is excellent, so it´s no armageddon, when it´s defective.

Joe, when you have some questions about the Multiplayer mode, I can help you out. It´s difficult the first time in MW2. Congrats for getting a console, dude!

Seriously return that crap to Best Buy and get it from ANYWHERE else. You can get one online for around $5 that works just as good if not better than that $65 bullshit. Hell, get one at walmart for $20. It's not the Xbox logo that makes it cost so much, and it's not an Xbox logo anyways. The Xbox HDMI from MS is less than that, and you get the dongle for surround sound with it. It's Best Buy that jacks that shit up so high.

ebay! i picked up my gold plated hdmi to dvi-d for under 5 euro's including shipping and it has worked perfectly for a year now - picture quality is a glorious 1080p

Thanks dudes! Like I said it works fine on the TV in my room. Almost 3/4 through MW2. I'm gonna try out another cable on the other TV though, just for shits and giggles. The other cable is going back!

Felix, I'll definitely hit you up when I'm ready for multiplayer. I'm such a gam newb and would get owned in 3 seconds, haha.

Cheers!

-Joe

Hey Mick,

Any chance you can hunt down the name of the adaptor that you were referring to?

thanks

Joe

Felix, I'll definitely hit you up when I'm ready for multiplayer. I'm such a gam newb and would get owned in 3 seconds, haha.

When I see, how much people got it for 360, I really consider grabbing it for 360 as well. I would like to play in one team with you and Marcus..haha that would be fun! :)

The Multiplayer modus is the heart of the game. The first steps will be not easy, but when you not getting angry that fast, after you was been shot, it´s okay. When I´m getting killed, I scream loudly as hell!! Aaaaargh. I don´t have the nerves for this game. One important tipp is the following: Make a private game and learn the maps. The key for success is knowing the maps.

How do you like the campagn so far?

When I see, how much people got it for 360, I really consider grabbing it for 360 as well. I would like to play in one team with you and Marcus..haha that would be fun! :)

The Multiplayer modus is the heart of the game. The first steps will be not easy, but when you not getting angry that fast, after you was been shot, it´s okay. When I´m getting killed, I scream loudly as hell!! Aaaaargh. I don´t have the nerves for this game. One important tipp is the following: Make a private game and learn the maps. The key for success is knowing the maps.

How do you like the campagn so far?

It's awesome! I'm only playing in normal mode but have gotten quite far in about four hours. I'm still very much a newb, and haven't played video games in a while. I'm still getting used to the controller, the maps, enemies, guns, etc...but I did pretty well I think!

-Joe

Joe, I too have been using a cable I got for like $5 off of ebay, and it's never once failed me! Have you tried using the component cables that come with the 360 though? (just make sure the switch on the adapter is set to HD, naturally)

Joe, I too have been using a cable I got for like $5 off of ebay, and it's never once failed me! Have you tried using the component cables that come with the 360 though? (just make sure the switch on the adapter is set to HD, naturally)

Ey Marcus,

I have tried the component cables in normal mode and they seem fine on the TV mentioned in the first thread.

For some reason, I could have sworn my cable didn't have the HD switch on it...but I did get the Elite so it should, eh?

I just find it strange that the cable would do this. I tried all three HDMI ports with varied success on the three. It's a brand new TV, nothing old or outdated at all.

One more thing...I saw you wanted to get a wireless adapter to play online. I read an article that said you can use several much cheaper non x-box branded adapters to play online. I'm gonna look into one.

Joe

Even though you said its a new tv it still could be faulty inputs on the tv...test other things through the hdmi cable on the same tv and see what the result is...Also the HD switch is on the little box that your component cables are attached to.

Even though you said its a new tv it still could be faulty inputs on the tv...test other things through the hdmi cable on the same tv and see what the result is...Also the HD switch is on the little box that your component cables are attached to.

True, could be...I don't think I have any other HDMI enabled stuff. Maybe my newest dvd player, gotta check.

-Joe

For some reason, I could have sworn my cable didn't have the HD switch on it...but I did get the Elite so it should, eh?

If you just bought it recently, then no, it doesnt come with the component HD cables anymore.

See, when MS says they are cutting the price, what they really mean to say is they are leaving out the HD component cables, the hdmi cable and dongle. They cut out the $100 worth of cables to sell it $100 cheaper. Wonderful eh?:Smug: