xlr cable soldering question...

MacoySIN

New Metal Member
Dec 2, 2008
after soldering 16 xlr cables, i just realized that i soldered all the ground cables to pin 3. they were supposed to be on pin 1. i soldered all of them this way consistently end to end so basically it works but i'd like to know if there is any problem with this? i tried them out a couple of times and i don't think i noticed any. one cable didn't work and one had an occasional noise but i think it's just from bad soldering. thanks guys! :)

You might run into issues with phantom power and maybe interference since the ground isn't 'shielding' the internal cables - I'd redo it, but I don't blame you if you just do 1-2 at a time and make the process last a week haha.

... so basically it works but i'd like to know if there is any problem with this?...

If you have made a connection from the braid to the XLR shell...

This won't make a difference if plugged into a plastic socket. But if the sockets you're plugging into are the metal sort and fixed to a grounded metal enclosure, this will short-circuit the cold output of the connected gear. This may or may not do it some harm.

If none of the pins are connected to the XLR shell...

1) Balanced noise rejection relies upon the hot and cold signal wires being exposed to equal amounts if noise pickup.

The way you have it now, the cold signal is on the shield, so will pick up a lot more noise than the hot.

2) Balanced noise rejection also relies upon the hot and cold signal having the same impedance.

The impedance of the shield probably isn't the same as the impedance of the signal wires.

The cables will work, but you lose some of the noise-rejection. In fact, with the noise being picked up by the shield braid getting injected into the cold signal path, noise pickup will be marginally worse than if you used unbalanced cable.

Whoa! Thanks a lot! Can't find anything about this topic and i'm glad i found the answers here. Thank you JeffTD and Omega_Void.

Well i guess i really have to do them all over again! Need to slap myself in the face first haha! :yell: