Cable & Noise question

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

This is an issue I've had for a while, and one that people seem to experience quite commonly.. so I've come here for some advice.

Basically I run two soundcards. One is my consumer end Audigy 2 ZS, with a 3.5mm stereo minijack output. The other is an mbox 2 mini with dual unbalanced 1/4" outputs.

Problem is my monitors only take balanced connections, either TRS or XLR.

I use a y-splitter cable 3.5mm stereo one end and dual 1/4" unbalanced on the other ends, to go to both my monitors. When I connect this to my monitors and my Audigy, I get a shitload of floor noise, plus weird computer noises as well. I long thought that this was a problem with the cabling not being right for the set-up. Would anyone here know what sort of cable I would need to overcome this noise? Btw, the noise isnt coming out of the output of the soundcard... I've tried it with cans and had no noise issues at all.

With the Mbox... I dont get teh floor noise, but I still get the digital beeping.

Now I've wanted to get some custom cables soldered for me to hopefully rectify the situation... for the mbox I wanted two cables that went balanced TRS on one end to unbalanced trs on the other (so the negative and gruond are both soldered to ground). I was hoping this would rectify the situation... would it?

With the consumer end card... I have no idea what to do. I figured maybe somehow do a y-split cable that goes from 3.5mm minijack to dual balanced TRS... I don't know how.. but...

I don't know really, I'm clutching at straws, but I'm REALLY sick of this floor noise as it masks a lot of stuff in mixes I do, and it's coming to bother me more and more as my work improves.

Cheers.

I get noise too using the soundblaster card, but no noise using the firepod.

its normally cables issues (I use proper cables with the firepod) or grounding issues.