Running two channels of audio into monitors?

-Gavin-

Gavornator
Jul 21, 2003
Oulu, Finland
I just bought a new set of monitors (Event ALP5) to replace my edirol M-15D boxes.

the thing is, i run my net laptop AND my DAW through the edirols (it's dual channel, half the rason i bought them).

The dilema is such, the events have RCA phono input as well as balanced inputs... there is rarely audio playing from both at the same time but would i be screwing up my signal running unbalanced RCA and a balanced TRS cable run into the same monitors or do i have to keep my Edirols?

Contact Edirol. Being that the amp is active, there could be any number of ways to handle input. You could get some impedance loading, causing a mismatch, and might get a smearing of hf, or loss of low end. But then again, maybe not. Contact Edirol, but first, consult the manual.

on the Yamaha HS50s, the tweeters get automatically shut off from the quarter inch inputs to prevent possible damage from driving the tweeter with two different inputs. My solution is to use a little switcher box

I picked up the SMPro MPatch 2 passive volume control a couple of weeks ago for monitor switching. 2 sets of outputs + headphone amp (active), allows for 2 input sources as well with a volume knob for each. It does what it says on the tin.

Awesome, i'll check that out.

Bastarding Dolphinmusic didn't send them out yesterday due to there apparantly being a "logistics department" issue in shipping a box with monitors and a box with 2x Balanced cables. :lol: