XLR out/Line out for FOH direct connection

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
So this is a question that concerns the thread about POD vs Gt-10 cause gt-10 has one and Pod doesn't, but I want a general assumption on this. So if a processor/preamp used as a DI (as in directly connected to the PA, no power amps/cabs involved) does not have an XLR output, what is the difference of using the 1/4" line out instead? I currently have a bass v-amp and it doesn't have XLR outputs (cause I could only find the crappy kidney version, not the rack version which does have xlr) but it has two outputs labeled "amp out" and "di out" and according to the instructino manual they have the same function depending on the configuration (normal stereo, left cab sim off - right on, etc.).

In other words, what is the advantage of using XLR instead of line? simply the noise canceling properties of the xlr cables? what If I use a short cable from the preamp to the PA? or a good quality, low noise cable? is there actually a difference as in I will absolutely need an XLR output for live playing?

Is the 1/4" jack balanced or not? If it is it's the same as if it was XLR. If it's not I'd say it shouldn't be a problem either.

in the v-amp case it's unbalanced. Not sure if the outputs on a Pod are balanced or not, but I'm guessing their unbalanced. So it isn't that big of a deal If I use unbalanced 1/4" output to line input in the PA Console?

Another question, is it ok to use a 1/4" to XLR cable from the preamp/processor to a mic input in PA? I'm guessing no difference either?

If its unbalanced, and you run it through a DI to balance it then you should be fine. I wouldnt recommend getting one of those 1/4" -> XLR cables though - you may not have any issues but the chance of interference is high.
I did a tour with Krisiun recently and Moyses had a pod with two XLR outs (L and R) - is this only on the higher end versions?

I did a tour with Krisiun recently and Moyses had a pod with two XLR outs (L and R) - is this only on the higher end versions?

It surely was the rack version? I don't think any "live" version of POd has xlr outs, I think only the "pro" (rack-mounted) version has them. btw krisiun's guitar sound is pod?? I saw them live a year ago and it sounded devastating and very "raw", couldn't imagine a POD sounding like that.

It may have been real amps at the time... never heard a clip of a POD from anyone that had those qualities, nor have I heard anyone ever describe a POD that way :lol:

It surely was the rack version? I don't think any "live" version of POd has xlr outs, I think only the "pro" (rack-mounted) version has them. btw krisiun's guitar sound is pod?? I saw them live a year ago and it sounded devastating and very "raw", couldn't imagine a POD sounding like that.

My Pod X3 Live had XLR outs. I enjoyed gigging with it a lot, I'd just pack my guitar etc. into a gigbag and the X3L into its own gigbag, and then got to the place with public transportation. Then I just sent the signal to the FOH from one of the XLR outs and that was it. Easy and fast as hell.

pod.jpg

The pic is crap, but you can still see the 5th and 6th XLR outputs, which have "direct out" marked under them.

Yeah it was the rack version - aside from his I havent had any experience with them so I figured if that one did, others would too.
And yeah, he has been using that pod for years. Runs through a tube pre, into the pod, and then into the power section of a JCM800 or 900. He used to use the direct outs and blend them with a mic signal but hasnt done that for a while, as far as I know. He didnt want anything to do with mics when I did the tour with them haha.

My Pod X3 Live had XLR outs. I enjoyed gigging with it a lot, I'd just pack my guitar etc. into a gigbag and the X3L into its own gigbag, and then got to the place with public transportation. Then I just sent the signal to the FOH from one of the XLR outs and that was it. Easy and fast as hell.

Great, I didn't know the X3 had xlr outputs. Yeah man that's exactly what I want it for, no amp, bunch of pedals, just a pod in it's gigbag. I have to carry a shitload of things to a show already (headphone amp, small mixer, cables, ipod which I carry in yet another bag) so I'm trying to make it as minimal as possible

Yeah it was the rack version - aside from his I havent had any experience with them so I figured if that one did, others would too.
And yeah, he has been using that pod for years. Runs through a tube pre, into the pod, and then into the power section of a JCM800 or 900. He used to use the direct outs and blend them with a mic signal but hasnt done that for a while, as far as I know. He didnt want anything to do with mics when I did the tour with them haha.

Nice to know Krisiun's guitar sound is part pod. I got the chance to meet the drummer (max was his name right?) when they played in my town last year, seemed like a nice guy. Great live band, really down to earth and humble on stage