Yamaha hs50 or M Audio bx8a???

Manicompression

doing it for the kids
Aug 20, 2007
Cleveland OH
Im about to pull the trigger on some monitors, I prefer Yamaha as a company but would like 8" cones and keep reading that the bx8a is pretty good. which pair would you go for ?? Either would be an upgrade for me.

Depends on where you live and the size of your room - my housemate has BX8a's in an untreated room on his desk without any decoupling (e.g. Auralex MoPads, Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers, etc.), and the low end is honestly quite overpowering, not to mention the fact that if you have ANY neighbor issues, then you can guarantee the bass from those suckers is gonna go right through your walls/floor/ceiling.

SO, if you have any of those issues, I'd go HS50's, but if not, then BX8a's!

i can get mopads no problem, some diy treatment might have to wait a few weeks though, neighbors arent a problem, thanks for the advice dude

No doubt man, I wish I was in your situation - my neighbor's bed is on the other side of the wall my desk is up against, so I've gotta stick with 5" drivers! :erk:

sweet, mopads it is then, So the newer series is comprable to the older ones, according to the description on MF these are redesigned versions of something that was apperently offered previously,..... suppose they will have to work just placed the order. So I am setting up shop in a pretty big room in my basement, concrete floors with some area rugs, house is insulated very very well, would some big ol diy bass traps be a good starting point for treatment, thoughts ???

yeah I just dug up the "so if your not thinking about treating your room......." thread, looks like i will be building some big ass traps in the next month or so, should be easy enough (tapping wood), Ive lived like 3 different places in the last 6 months so its really very nice to get all my shit set up again, let alone getting some new gear.

One product that I've never seen mentioned here but that seems extremely useful (I stumbled upon 'em randomly and ended up ordering a pair, they should arrive tomorrow!) is the Primacoustic Cumulus - sure, you COULD get a DIY trap up in that tri-corner spot, but for the clean elegance and ease of installation the Cumulus offers, I figured it was worth $120 shipped for a pair (and those tri-corner spots are the WORST for bass buildup!)

i dunno, man...you should be able to build 4 of those things out of a single 4x8 sheet of 703, which costs what? $10-12/sheet?

$120 for a pair seems pretty steep to me